Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Urgent please
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:46 am 

Hello
I replaced a harddrive in an Acer Aspire 5520 with a bigger one.
It has Vista Home.
I wanted to retain the Acer software so I ghosted the image and retained the partitions without resizing, then I imaged the drive, I put it back in the laptop and ran the recovery partition and reinstalled windows.
I then changed the partitions to the size I wanted. Because partitioning the drive first seems to lose the recovery console software.

Everything worked ok and there were no system errors and everything was working correctly but now after two days the customers favourites have disappeared (the registry was looking in the wrong location) the wireless printer driver vanished. And now the MS Outlook is saying the programme is no longer on the computer.
I will see if creating another user account fixes the issue but I don't understand what is happening. It seems that windows is losing locations or pathways or something.
Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks,
In desperation.
ford

Post subject: Re: Urgent please
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:12 am 

Re-Download the driver (need make and model) and find the faves using search. Find the *.pst files (Outlook files) and re-install outlook

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:49 am 
Site Admin

Malware and/or anti-malware software can cause these types of symptoms so before going any further make sure that the system is malware-free, and that you have disabled or uninstalled any and all anti-malware software.

Assuming that malware or anti-malware software is not involved, you might be dealing with the fallout of a disk signature collision, which is what happens if you clone a drive and then boot the system with both the clone and the original attached to the system. If two drives are seen at boot time having the same Disk ID (Signature) Windows becomes confused as to which drive is which, and this can cause problems with drive letter and folder assignments throughout the registry. If this is what happened in this case, then you can either just deal with the problems and try to repair them as they crop up, or just start over with a fresh clone and/or reload. If the cloned boot drive is no longer seen by Windows as "C:", then starting over is pretty much the only way out. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:15 pm 

Hello
Thanks so much for your replies and the link.
Wow, system signature collision, I haven't heard of that before. I didn't have two drives on the same machine because its a laptop and it does boot ok. But I did change the partition sizes after windows install because changing them before, and I lose the ability to access the recovery console.

That might explain why in the system restore point showed an entry called Local Disk C - missing.
I unticked it which turns off system restore. Then restart and this resolves that issue.
Yes early on I did switch partitions. There was a D drive just for data and I wanted to organise the partitions to use up all unavailable space because I had cloned to a bigger drive and I made the C drive larger.

I wonder if that system restore point entry is a clue to their being duplicate ID's?
How can that be prevented? Or maybe its something that as you say, just happens occassionally. I remember also that I had trouble with windows not detecting any updates available and I had to install them manually but then that was working ok by the time SP 2 was installed and all updates were working normally.

Thanks

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

I've migrated to larger drives many times and as long as I didn't boot with both the clone and original drive attached I never had any problems. Since you said that you reinstalled Windows from the recovery partition, it should work as a new installation without the problems you describe. In fact you said that it did indeed work fine, but suddenly 2 days later you began having problems. To me this sounds like a potential malware problem, possibly a rootkit. Is your "C:" drive missing from Disk Management? If so then that would pretty much confirm a malware problem. If that is the case, while you can take steps to detect and remove the malware, since this is a fresh installation you might just as well start over. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:20 pm 

Hello
I'll getting the laptop tomorrow and I'll put Vista on with no partitions or acer software.
I'll check to see if C drive is in the disk management section. It was when I returned it to the customer.
The original drive had four partitions, C drive, D drive for data, and two hidden partitions, one being the recovery console and I think the other was a boot partition. I imaged them all to the new drive and resized the C drive to take up the unallocated space.

Thanks
Ford

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:22 am 

Hello

I have the laptop back. All is fine in disk management area.
But I see something in event viewer under windows logs - system
WHEA-Logger event 19. Error source: Corrected Machine Check
Its listed as a warning but perhaps that is causing the strange behaviours.
What is that? What does it mean???

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:03 am 
Site Admin

I don't think that has anything to do with any of the problems you've described, but there is a hotfix for it. If that hotfix had already been applied and yet the error persists, then that may indicate bad memory or some other hardware problem with the system. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:43 pm 

Hello

Thanks for your reply.
The system has an AMD Turion 64 x2 processor.
So I suppose it must be the memory for that issue but I tested it with Memtest (long) and it checked out fine. But a 4 year old laptop, maybe I just replace memory anyway.
The favourites had wrong pathways in the registry under the shell folder and the user shell folder. Once I corrected both the locations that fixed the issue.

Maybe your earlier suggestion re the signature collision might be still an issue??
I will replace the memory, harddrive (again). The Acer recovery console that is still installed allows x1 copy of windows to be created to CD I'll use that and format and partition completely then install windows again from that.
I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
Thanks
Ford

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS