Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Windows 7 Power Option, Turn Off Harddisk
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:03 pm 

My question pertains to the Windows 7 high performance power option advanced setting to turn off hard disk after a specific time or never. Many ssd optimization guides recommend changing this setting to never based on the need for idle time garbage collection and trim. Does this setting have any control for an ssd or does it only affect system harddrives? Some say it affects ssd and others say it doesn't , is it true that a drive performing idle time tasks will not respond to a power turn off request ? I have WD RE4 drives and wonder how they are affected if I use a never turn off setting ?

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 Power Option, Turn Off Harddisk
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

For newer SSDs that support the Trim command, combined with Windows 7 (which also supports that command), I don't think it will make any difference at all. It might make a difference on older drives, or when running under XP/Vista. Even if using an older OS I believe that the newer drives have dramatically improved controllers (with improved garbage collection) such that I doubt this would be an issue anymore. However, I have not specifically tested this so I cannot confirm. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS