Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Problems with video stuff concerning audio
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:21 pm 

Too often when I play video stuff (YouTube videos, etc.) on a certain PC with a Windows XP installation, the audio and video don't seem to be in sync. (The lip-synching too often seems to be a little off.) There's too often a brief "hiccup" in the audio. This happens even after I've installed new versions of Adobe Flash Player and Apple QuickTime. (Then again, it's hard for me to say whether or not a previous version or versions of the latter had the same kind of problem on the PC in question. I've also heard "hiccups" while hearing audio samples in iTunes.) The PC has a motherboard with integrated audio stuff. I couldn't find better drivers than the ones I have for the system. I've played a Transformers episode I bought from iTunes on both the PC in question and on a different PC that has a Windows Vista installation. On the former, there were "hiccups" and lip-synching issues. On the latter, lip-synching didn't seem to be a problem.

Post subject: Re: Problems with video stuff concerning audio
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:00 am 
Site Admin

What happens when you play the same video on a newer (faster) system with a fast internet connection? Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:15 am 

Scott, keep in mind that I purchased and downloaded the Transformers episode in question. The playback was problematic on the PC with XP (it has a quad-core processor, plus it's the newest system I've got), but was essentially OK on the PC with Vista. (The latter has a dual-core processor.) On the PC with XP and the quad-core processor, video and audio would often seem to be in sync until a "hiccup" occurred. After the "hiccup," there would too often be lip-synching issues. Recently, a DVD I played on the system's optical drive had lip-sync problems after a "hiccup. Before then, the lip-synching appeared to be fine.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:28 am 
Site Admin

I suspect malware or some other software on the system is causing problems. How does it play when the system is booted from a freshly reloaded drive? Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:02 pm 

For the PC with the quad-core CPU, I installed Windows XP Home Edition on a different hard drive. (The hard drive I had been booting from for the system has a Windows XP Professional installation.) The Transformers episode in question did "hiccup" both with and without Logitech SetPoint installed, but I didn't notice any lip-synching problems. Some YouTube videos I played did have "hiccup" stuff. Maybe the iTunes and YouTube problems are unrelated. I did install Adobe Flash Player. I believe I installed QuickTime along with iTunes. I installed the ATI HDMI Driver and the VIA Audio Drivers that cane with an MSI Drivers & Utilities DVD-ROM disc. Are corrupted codecs possibly at fault? I did not install codecs to enable DVD movies to be played.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

I would test using a fresh reload with as little additional software installed as possible. It could indeed be a codec problem, and to play DVDs in Windows at a minimum you will need an MPEG-2 decoder. I install the K-Lite Codec Pack (mega) on all of the systems I build and/or reload, which includes MPEG-2 and many other codecs. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:47 pm 

Scott, keep in mind that I performed a clean install of Windows XP Home Edition today on a separate hard drive. I did try to use as little software as possible. I installed Logitech SetPoint to see if it would make a difference. When the YouTube videos acted up when I was using the "new" hard drive, it was before I installed SetPoint. I attempted to play a YouTube video before I installed the ATI HDMI Driver and the VIA Audio Drivers, but there was no sound. There is sound now, of course. Could you possibly tell me what could throw off lip-synching?

BTW, should I even bother activating Windows XP Home Edition on that separate hard drive? The hard drive is of the IDE variety, plus it only has a 40GB capacity.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

It could be caused by virtually any of the hardware and/or software in the system. After the clean install, did you install Media Player 11, all Windows Updates? Did anything change after you installed the codec pack I mentioned? If that doesn't help then what happens when you play the video with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (included with the codec pack)?

I would only activate Windows if you intend on using it past the trial period. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:24 pm 

Scott, I confess to choosing to have Automatic Updates turned on when I installed XP Home, but I later turned Automatic Updates off. As far as I know, no new Windows Updates were installed. I used a custom CD with SP3 to install XP Home. Right now, Windows Media Player 9 exists, not Windows Media Player 11. I have not installed either the K-Lite Codec Pack or the Media Player Classic thing you mentioned. However, I believe I installed the K-Lite Codec Pack on the hard drive I usually use with the system (the one with XP Pro). I definitely installed some version of Media Player Classic on the latter hard drive. As far as DVD lip-synching problems are concerned, I only noticed them when I used WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-ray, not Media Player Classic. However, I can't say that I won't have similar problems when playing a DVD using the version of Media Player Classic that's installed on the hard drive with XP Pro. What should I do next?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
As far as DVD lip-synching problems are concerned, I only noticed them when I used WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-ray, not Media Player Classic.

Bingo, problem solved!
Quote:
What should I do next?

Stop using WinDVD 9 and use Media Player Classic instead. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:48 pm 

At least on the system with the quad-core CPU, I haven't used Media Player Classic to play a DVD for a prolonged period of time. No, I do not have WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-ray installed on the 40GB hard drive. Scott, do you know if WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-ray has its own set of codecs? Also, do you think one of the VIA Audio Drivers could be bad? I seem to remember YouTube videos doing "hiccup" stuff even before I installed WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-ray on the quad-core system.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...do you know if WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-ray has its own set of codecs?

I think it does.

Quote:
Also, do you think one of the VIA Audio Drivers could be bad?

It's possible, what happens when you install the latest version? Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:59 pm 

Concerning VIA High Definition Audio, the Hardware Update Wizard "could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you have currently installed." The ATI High Definition Audio Device was apparently updated. I played a YouTube video all the way through just now, and I heard no "hiccups." Should I go back to the hard drive with the XP Pro installation and do things like uninstall WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-ray and update the ATI High Definition Audio Device?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

That sounds like a good idea, let me know if it helps. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:04 pm 

Well, Scott, I've uninstalled WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-ray. I at least tried to update the ATI HDMI Audio driver, but the "new" driver seemed to be defective. Should I try to install a new version of the K-Lite Codec Pack? After all, there might be some corrupted codecs.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

If the driver won't install properly then it sounds like the XP Pro install is corrupted. In that case I recommend reloading. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:52 am 

I reinstalled the ATI HDMI Audio Driver from the DVD-ROM, and it seemed to install fine. There don't seem to be any new versions of the driver that I can get off the Internet. So what about a new version of the K-Lite Codec Pack?

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS