Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: 137 GB barrier
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:22 pm 

Hi Scott,
I just reloaded XP Pro OEM (No service pack) onto a customer's old computer. I upgraded the HDD to a 320 GB unit form the old 40 GB HDD which failed. Only 137 GB is recognized. The board is an Intel D845BG. Intel says to install the Intel Application Accelerator to get the rest of the drive recognized but that hasn't helped.
On page 483 of U&R PC's you say that the OS has to be at least XP w/SP1 or later to recognize the higher capacity of the drive.
Question: Does SP1 have to be on the installation disk during installation or can SP1 be added after the base OS is installed in order to have 48 bit LBA support?

Post subject: Re: 137 GB barrier
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

You'll find more information about that here. The short answer is that ideally you would want to install XP from a disc with SP3 integrated. But if you installed from an RTM/SP0 (Release To Manufacturing, no Service Pack) disc then after installing SP3 you can use a 3rd party partitioning tool to extend the partition into the newly visible remaining contiguous space. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:24 am 

Thanks Scott. I used Acronis to extend the free space in the partition. Acronis saw the drive as a 137 GB drive too but when I selected the same drive to take the free space from, it just did the job and and increased it. Thanks for saving me half a day of reinstalling everything!
When I first installed the OS (OEM w/no service packs on the media) I tried to install SP3 right away. The installation stopped and said I needed SP1 before I could install SP3. Would slip-streaming SP3 right into the installation avoid this problem or would I have to slip-stream SP1 into the installation media and install SP3 later on?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Slipstreaming would have avoided all of your problems. Service Packs used to be cumulative, meaning you just had to install the latest one. However XP SP3 requires SP1a to be installed first. However in the case of XP SP3 this was only an installation requirement as SP3 itself was in fact cumulative as far as its contents, meaning that it contained all SP1/SP2/SP3 updates and could be slipstreamed into an RTM/SP0 disc to fully update it to SP3 level.

Unfortunately Windows Vista Service Pack 2 is also not cumulative and requires SP1 to be installed first. Windows Vista and Windows 7 Service Packs also cannot effectively be slipstreamed, however updated installation discs with the latest Service Packs integrated can be downloaded from Microsoft directly. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:36 am 

Quote:
however updated installation discs with the latest Service Packs integrated can be downloaded from Microsoft directly. Scott.

Could you give the link to the windows vista installation discs with the latest service pakcs integrated...

thanks.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately the Vista installation media with SP2 integrated are no longer publicly available, however legal links to create Vista install discs with SP1 can be found here.

If you have a Microsoft Technet subscription ($199 for the Standard level, highly recommended) you can download the latest Windows, Office, etc. installation media (with the latest Service Packs fully integrated) directly from Microsoft, and product keys are included. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:41 pm 

I must be missing something here. $199 (per year I assume) and I can download most Microsoft products and license keys right from Microsoft's site? That sounds almost too good to be true! I could get most versions of Windows and Microsoft office products and the license to use them? I love my old software but I'd be willing to shell out $199 once every four or five years to update everything for one low price.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

You're not missing anything other than the software is supposed to be used for evaluation purposes. The full licensing details are here. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:19 pm 

Thanks for the info, Scott. I do have one more question though. The license agreement says:
"Common questions and answers

What changes did Microsoft implement to TechNet Subscriptions in July 2012?
On July 16, Microsoft made changes to TechNet Subscriptions to better reflect the intent of the program – aiding IT professionals in evaluating current Microsoft software—and to help protect the integrity of the subscription from unsupported use. As part of this change, we:

Reduced the length and complexity of the User Agreement.
Made Microsoft software use and other subscription benefits available only during the 12 month subscription period."

Does this mean any of the software I download through a TechNet Subscription is now a 1 year trial version that will quit working after 12 months?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

The software itself is the standard issue stuff with no built-in time limits or restrictions. The limit is on your license to use it, which lasts only as long as you are a subscriber. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS