[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs Forum • View topic - No POST after hibernation
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: No POST after hibernation
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:25 pm 

My computer is intermittently exhibiting the following behavior: Sometimes when I turn on my computer after it has hibernated, it won't reboot--it won't even run its POST. The CD ROM's spin up (their lights remain lit), the hard drive/power lights are on and my fans are running, but I never get a beep or a POST. To consistently remedy the problem, I do the following: I perform a soft shut-off using the power button on my computer and then restart it. It freezes at the same place (no POST) and then I hit the reset button. Then my computer starts normally.

I have WinXPsp2, ECS K7S6A mb, AMD AthlonXP 2000+, 1.67GHz, 1GB Ultra DDR 333 RAM

Thanks for the help!
-brad

Last edited by Brad on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect the CMOS battery (replace it). Make sure the system is unplugged when replacing the battery, as that will insure that the CMOS RAM is without power, causing it to be cleared in the process.

If that doesn' t help, then I suspect your power supply, replace it with a known-good spare as a test.

Finally, if that doesn't help, try a clean install of XP.

Let me know what works, Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:46 am 

Post subject: Changing CMOS battery didn't work...
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:25 pm 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:52 am 

Hi Scott,

It's been a while since I originally posted this, but the initial problem I wrote about occurred again this morning, but it was much more stubborn and it took me longer to get the computer to actually boot. This time, however, I received a CMOS checksum error (which I have not seen before). Does that give any more clues on this problem? (I did some research on checksum errors this morning and I realized that this problem may have started after I flashed my BIOS to accept a higher speed processor. But the rest of the system seems to be stable and as I mentioned, this morning was the first time I have seen the checksum error.)

To update on the previous posts in this thread: I have not yet tried a clean install of XP nor have I cleared the CMOS using the jumper (both of these you recommended). Now that I have a spare computer (I've referred to it in some other posts), I have a spare hard drive that I could try in my desktop computer with a clean install of WinXP. (Since my desktop computer is my main computer, I am hesitant to work on it when I have work due because I can't afford to render my computer inoperable by my tinkering. So this is always a constant process for me. It's not that I haven't taken your advice, it's simply that I haven't found a good time to try out your suggestions. I know a good bit about computers, but there's a whole lot more that I don't know and it's easy for me to get stuck when I'm trying things I haven't done before. I hope that my caution is understandable.)

As always, I appreciate your help and expertise.
Thanks,
brad

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Keep me posted if you do find a solution. Note that I still suspect the PSU as well, since I've seen similar problems with those having poor or improper design in the Power_Good circuit. They seem to work well otherwise, and even work fine in certain boards, but not others. In addition, if this is an older motherboard I'd also give the capacitors a good once-over: http://www.careyholzman.com/info.htm

Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:44 pm 

I hope the PSU is not the issue since it's practically brand new (it has only been in the machine since April). It's an Antec 430W TruePower Trio (I was looking for something quiet and it fit the bill). I replaced the old PSU because I was getting BSOD's and found a short in the PSU's ATX connector. (I am also remembering that the new Antec PSU's ATX connector was missing one of the wires--I think it was black--that was included in the old PSU. I called Antec about it and it is that way by design. I asked the rep if it would still work in my computer and he basically said I'd have to plug it in and find out.) I'll read the section in UaRPC's about the Power_Good signal.

The board is getting pretty old (I've had it for over 5 1/2 years). It's an ECS K7S6A. It's been a really great board and I'm trying to eek out every bit of life from it that I possibly can. The capacitor article is quite interesting (especially the picture of the "inflated" capacitors). I'll have to get my computer open and give it the once over.

Thanks,
brad

Post subject: Leaking Capacitors
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:18 am 

Hi Scott,

Thanks for pointing me to the article by Carey Holzman. I DO have some capacitors that are bulging and a couple that have slight leaks on the tops of them.

Am I just going to have to rebuild a new computer? Will the capacitors continue to function until they explode and ruin other components? Is it possible that they were damaged by the short in the ATX connector of my previous power supply?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

If the caps are bulging and leaking, then they are *already* failing, as evidenced by the symptoms highlighted in this thread. The symptoms will get worse over time.

While it would be possible to replace them, the expense might not be worth it on a board that old.

The capacitors were not damaged by your power supply. They are failing because they contain defective electrolyte, which was the result of industrial espionage and product counterfeiting gone wrong. For more information see:

Leaking capacitors muck up motherboards
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login ... 176509.pdf

Bogus! Electronic manufacturing and consumers confront a rising tide of counterfeit electronics
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/may06/3423

Let me know what you decide to do in the end. Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:15 pm 

Sorry for your loss Brad. Its ok, get yourself a new PC for Christmas!. It is coming up!.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:56 pm 

Thanks for the sympathy, FatGuy. :-) I can't complain, though. I've had the board for almost 6 years. Everyone is always shocked by that. It's been a great board. A local computer store still has mobos that will run my AGP vid card at 8x and my PC2700 RAM (I recently bought new parts for my current desktop and I don't want to get rid of them). I think I'll grab one of those mainboards and an AMD Sempron and make a small upgrade. That'll keep me content for another 3 years or so. :wink:

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS