Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: exFAT is a Microsoft file system optimized for flash drives
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:33 am 

Hello Scott,
I have a question regarding size of a folder with multiple sub-folders and files. The computer we're reading the folder's size from, is running Windows 7 Pro x64. The external hard drive,where the folder is stored, is an Exfat 2 TB formatted hard drive.
The properties windows reports that the size of the file folder is 1.84 GB
The size on the disk is reported as 7.9 GB. I have attached a photo of the properties box.

I would have formatted the external drive as NTFS or Fat32. But I'm not always informed when we get a new external drive.
I checked wikipedia.org exfat page about the file system ,but could find the answers to my questions.
Do you recommend using Exfat or not and why ?
Best regards

I am at work when I posted this ,so very busy and did not think to search th eforums for this topic "exFAT" .
I searched and found this post regarding exfat.http://forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1816&p=10070&hilit=exFAT#p10070. The post is about threes yeasr ,so maybe there is something new to add to this topic regarding exfat?

Attachments:
file folder properties.jpg
file folder properties.jpg [ 79.25 KiB | Viewed 2245 times ]
 Post subject: Re: exFAT is a Microsoft file system optimized for flash dri
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

Nothing new in regards to my recommendations there. In addition to the topic you already found, I was going to recommend you read this topic as well.

While exFAT was designed for removable flash drives, I don't recommend it for HDDs or SSDs. One of the reasons is exactly what you are describing, which is a very large cluster size that results in a large amount of wasted "slack space" (the difference between "Size" and "Size on disk") when many small files are stored. On a 2TB exFAT volume the cluster size is 128KB, while it would be only 4KB if the volume was formatted NTFS. If those same files were stored on an NTFS volume, the "Size on disk" would be much closer to the actual "Size". Scott.

Post subject: Re: exFAT is a Microsoft file system optimized for flash dri
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:00 pm 

Thanks for the reply and the information Scott. I''ll be quite versed in this topic after I've finished reading all the information found through the links you have provided me with.
I having my students techs transfer the files from the external drives (two Drives) that are exFAT formatted and reformatting as NTFS.

All the best

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS