Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Need help building Vista installation disc
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:51 am 

Scott, I'm trying to build a Windows Vista installation disc using vLite. I copied all the files from a DVD of the Retail version of Windows Vista Home Premium into a folder on the hard drive I usually use. Can any of the copied files be altered so vLite will think that they came from a DVD of the OEM version of Vista Home Premium? Keep in mind that the installation disc I'm trying to build is for a certain PC that currently has no hard drive installed. A Proof of License sticker that has a Product Key for the OEM version of Vista Home Premium is attached to the system.

BTW, I realize that Service Packs for Vista can't be integrated into the disc.

Post subject: Re: Need help building Vista installation disc
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

There is essentially no difference between the Retail and OEM Vista install discs. You should be able to modify and/or install either one. You may be able to modify the disc to appear as different versions by editing (or removing) the ei.cfg file on the disc. Unfortunately I've not tried this with Vista. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:34 pm 

I checked out the first link you posted in this thread, Scott. On the page the link takes me to, Ryan Smith says the following:

Quote:
With Vista’s image based installer, we saw Microsoft consolidate all of this – one disc could contain every distribution of Windows, allowing a user to always be able to install Windows with any Windows disc, regardless of what their key was. This greatly simplified the installation process, resolving one of the most frustrating things about installing Windows XP.

In this case, is it true that there's no need to edit or remove the ei.cfg file?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, however note that with Vista the product key you enter determines the edition that will be installed. If you don't enter a key, then you can install any edition as a trial.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:08 am 

Sadly, I couldn't find any update packs for Vista on either this page or this page. Is there a place where I can get a whole bunch of hotfixes for Vista that I can integrate into my customized installation disc using vLite? Keep in mind that the original files come from a Vista installation disc with no service packs.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:49 am 
Site Admin

The best place for Vista update packs was here: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=27

Unfortunately from what I can see most have been removed or are no longer supported, and those that were available would require a source install disc with SP2 or SP1 integrated. I don't know of any other alternatives where Vista is concerned. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:18 pm 

I've downloaded individual driver packs from the driverpacks.net web site, but they're all 7Z files. How do I convert them into files vLite can use? I do have DriverPacks BASE 10.06, but I don't know which installation platform to use. (Keep in mind that Windows Vista Home Premium doesn't have an I386 directory.)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...they're all 7Z files. How do I convert them into files vLite can use?

You would use 7-Zip to extract .7z files. For specific help with vLite I recommend the vLite Forum. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:34 pm 

Maxirad wrote:
....the original files come from a Vista installation disc with no service packs.

Why? ;-)

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS