Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Microsoft Office Install Issue
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:56 pm 

Hello,

My brother has one of the versions of Microsoft Office that allows 3 installs on 3 machines.

ONE of these machines have been sent to the Great Computer Heaven Up Yonder. Nothing remains of this machine. Motherboard, Hard Drive, everything has been sent for recycling.

When they attempted to install Office on the new machine, obviously they got an error. They called MS who was less than helpful.

How do they establish this with MS, so they can restore one of their licenses? Surely there is a provision for doing this since they have commuted this old machine to the bone yard of the abyss.

Post subject: Re: Microsoft Office Install Issue
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

I assume you are talking about the product activation, which is apparently being denied via the normal online process. In that case you should be able to use the telephone activation instead. If you talk to a person (normally it is automated) you will be able to explain the situation. Let me know how it turns out, Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:00 pm 

Scott wrote:
I assume you are talking about the product activation, which is apparently being denied via the normal online process. In that case you should be able to use the telephone activation instead. If you talk to a person (normally it is automated) you will be able to explain the situation. Let me know how it turns out, Scott.

This method has been attempted, telephone activation that is.

The first person my brother's wife spoke to denied the activation.

I just spoke to her tonight, and told her to try again, and to make sure to explain to the person that the computer was completely destroyed, so to speak.

I was not sure if there was some way she needed to specify which units were still active or not.

She was dealing with off-shore support, so I don't know how well they understood her either.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:34 am 
Site Admin

I would try again and escalate the matter to superiors if the activation is denied. Scott.

PS: This is why where ever possible I boycott software requiring activation. With that in mind, I have been on a mission to convert people from Microsoft Office to LibreOffice for several years now. I've also made LibreOffice a standard part of my default system load. In my opinion it works better than Office (and is much easier to install) and yet is compatible with Office, meaning you can read and write standard Office files. The last version of MS Office I bought was over 10 years ago (Office 2003), and I don't see that ever changing...

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS