Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Replacing invalid security id with default security id for..
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:27 pm 

Hello.

I have a hard drive that I am trying to recover files on for a friend that has a RAW partition.

So to begin, I simply attached it to my computer as another SATA drive and turned the PC on.

Chkdsk began to run automatically, and did many things, and now is at the stage of this message on the screen:

Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file xxxxxx

with a number that is growing ever larger. It is now growing over 169,000 and has been running for quite awhile.

I'm not sure where to go with this as I've never seen this before.

Any advice would be helpful.

Post subject: Re: Replacing invalid security id with default security id f
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

glen4cindy wrote:
I have a hard drive that I am trying to recover files on for a friend that has a RAW partition.

That means the partition is not being recognized by Windows as being formatted, which usually means that the volume boot sector and/or file system has been damaged.

Quote:
I simply attached it to my computer as another SATA drive and turned the PC on. Chkdsk began to run automatically, and did many things...

CHKDSK will not write anything to the disk unless you specficially tell it to, so you should be able to stop the operation with no ill effects. You will need to use a data recovery program like Recuva to attempt to recover the files. If that doesn't work and the data is especially valuable you may want to try a professional recovery service. Let me know how things turn out. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:16 pm 

Thanks Scott.

Just a short while after posting my question, my PC finished with this screen before a couple of reboots:

After the reboots, all files so far on the hard drive have been readable without using any external software other than the automatic run of Chkdsk.

My friend is going to be very happy! She has GIGABYTES of photos of grandchildren on there, and of course, that is the ONLY copy of those photos!! (I'm sure you have heard that before!)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

glen4cindy wrote:
After the reboots, all files so far on the hard drive have been readable without using any external software other than the automatic run of Chkdsk.

She is *very* lucky! I sincerely hope this encourages the making of backups in the future, as the next time all may be lost. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:19 pm 

I recently had a drive that had been dropped whilst on. I found a utility http://www.partition-saving.com/ on my Hiren disc and was able to see file titles but not copy them. I wonder if anyone else or Scott has used this tool with success?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately no software will work if the drive is physically damaged and unreadable. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:47 pm 

My last stop at software recovery is ddrescue:

ddrescue (Linux)

Found on SystemRescueCD (sudo or ./ not needed, just the command)

ddrescue [-options] bad_disk good_disk (should be equal or greater size) log_file

logfile should be used as it checks log file for already recovered files and goes from there...saves time which will already be hours

example:

fdisk -l [list hard drives detected and names... sd_ for SATA drives, hd_ for IDE drives]

ddrescue -n -f /dev/sdb /dev/sdc resq.log

This will retrieve all non-damaged files and file structures first from sdb and transfer to sdc and note them in the log file. I recommend trying to transfer (backup) all files rescued at this point to another drive. Then,

ddrescue -r3 -f /dev/sdb /dev/sdc resq.log

This will attempt to recover the damaged files three times before moving on and use the resq.log to find their location and not waste time looking.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS