Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Problem concerning WMIPRVSE.EXE
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:14 am 

Scott, a process known as WMIPRVSE.EXE too often hogs my CPU. The instance of this process that does so is apparently a child process of SVCHOST.EXE. Is there a good way I can take care of this problem?

Post subject: Re: Problem concerning WMIPRVSE.EXE
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

That program is the WMI Provider Host, which is part of Windows. Unfortunately problems with high CPU usage by wmiprvse.exe usually turn out to be malware. Let me know what ends up solving the problem in your case. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:53 pm 

I've used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in full-scan mode to remove some malware from my system, but the problem persists. I have to admit that the seemingly problematic instance of WMIPRVSE.EXE appears to be a CPU hog from only a few minutes after starting the system up, after which it seems to die down by itself. When I use Process Explorer to try to restart the instance, I get a Process Explorer Warning dialog box that reads:

Quote:
The selected process is running in a different account than Process Explorer and so may fail to run, behave differently, and run with different security rights when restarted under Process Explorer's credentials

Continue with process restart?

(Yes) (No)

I can apparently make the problem go away for a while by killing the apparently problematic instance of WMIPRVSE.EXE. However, the problem too often comes back after I restart the system. Keep in mind that the system in question has a Windows XP Professional installation. I'm the only user with an active account on the system. The Administrator account has been disabled.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:44 am 
Site Admin

It sounds like malware may still be present. I'd recommend a reload. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:19 am 

Scott wrote:
It sounds like malware may still be present. I'd recommend a reload. Scott.

What happened to WindowsReloaded.com? It seems like the business went belly up. In that case, what other businesses can provided a good reload?

BTW, when I try to use Process Explorer to kill the problematic instance of WMIPRVSE.EXE after I start up the system, what usually happens is that it immediate reoccurs each time for several kill attempts. The fourth attempt or so appears to be successful and the CPU usage goes down. (There have been times where I successfully killed it on the first try, though.) Scott, how much of the CPU should WMIPRVSE.EXE use at most?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

Maxirad wrote:
What happened to WindowsReloaded.com? It seems like the business went belly up. In that case, what other businesses can provided a good reload?

It's hard to make a profit doing reloads, especially where transportation or shipping is involved. In most cases you would have to do it yourself or find somebody local who can do it for you.

Quote:
...when I try to use Process Explorer to kill the problematic instance of WMIPRVSE.EXE after I start up the system, what usually happens is that it immediate reoccurs each time for several kill attempts.

You shouldn't have to kill wmiprvse.exe unless it has been modified or replaced my malware. It is a required part of Windows and other components depend on it.

Quote:
...how much of the CPU should WMIPRVSE.EXE use at most?

I just checked my system with Process Explorer while typing this message and wmiprvse.exe is using 0% of the CPU. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:12 pm 

Scott wrote:
It's hard to make a profit doing reloads, especially where transportation or shipping is involved. In most cases you would have to do it yourself or find somebody local who can do it for you.

Scott, I've found a business in my hometown that does reloads. How do I make sure that they do a good reload?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

I would ask previous customers what they thought. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:48 pm 

For all intents and purposes, I have solved the problem. It was the software that came with my Linksys WUSB100 that was causing WMIPRVSE.EXE to hog a significant percentage of my CPU for a significant period of time upon my reaching the desktop after starting up the system in question. The big reason why I've been concerned is because the problem was evidently interfering with the system's ability to go into Hibernate by itself in the time allotted. I apparently started having this problem early on. Scott, you can thank some people who have brought up Wi-Fi issues on the Internet. Yes, I have uninstalled the problematic software.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for letting us know the solution. For reference I never recommend installing any software (other than drivers) that comes with wireless adapters. Such software is completely unecessary as Windows XP and later includes everything necessary to manage wireless network connections. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:23 pm 

Scott wrote:
Thanks for letting us know the solution. For reference I never recommend installing any software (other than drivers) that comes with wireless adapters. Such software is completely unecessary as Windows XP and later includes everything necessary to manage wireless network connections. Scott.

Scott, would you basically say the same things concerning Bluetooth adapters?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

No, because the Bluetooth stack Microsoft includes with Windows is unfortunately limited in capability as Microsoft didn't want to pay WIDCOMM/Broadcom for the full license for all Windows versions (another bad move for Windows on MS part). One of the reasons I like ThinkPads so much is that they provide a full-blown implementation superior to what Microsoft provides. What this means is that unless you have a ThinkPad (or your system mfr. provides a similar full Bluetooth stack) you may need to install the software that comes with your specific Bluetooth device. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:53 pm 

What about Logitech SetPoint?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

Please tell me what it's about. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:56 pm 

The Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser things generally seem to work OK without Logitech SetPoint. However, SetPoint offers features not provided by the native Windows XP Professional stuff. I had issues concerning the latest version of SetPoint, which I have uninstalled.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS