Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Windows 8 (Groan)
 Post Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:04 pm 

Seems that Windows 8.0 machines *have* to swallow 8.1 and it's problems downloading and installing just to keep getting it's Windows update medicine!

Is this true? I'm quite erm "happy" with only wishing Dad's Laptop was 7, now it seems I do have to have 8.1

Is there an iso for 8.1? I'm not going to just hope it's out-sized download works.

Post subject: Re: Windows 8 (Groan)
 Post Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

David McMahon wrote:
Seems that Windows 8.0 machines *have* to swallow 8.1 and it's problems downloading and installing just to keep getting it's Windows update medicine! Is this true?

It is true. See here where it states: "This is a critical update that is required for future updates to Windows. If you prevent it from installing or you uninstall it, you won’t get future bug fixes, security updates, and new features."

Quote:
Is there an iso for 8.1?

Yes, however in typical fashion Microsoft has made it difficult to download. Not only that, but then for future installs if you have an 8.0 key you won't be able to easily perform a clean install of 8.1 anyway since 8.0 keys won't work on 8.1. Brilliant! <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:41 pm 

Thank You very much once again Scott

I dread to ask, but I wonder how you're going to manage Win8 at your shop Scott?

Post Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

I'm downgrading people to Win7 and/or recommending against Win8 wherever possible. For the rest I'll just have to deal with it. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:20 pm 

I believe this is Microsoft's new "service pack." You will take it or else ala your phone's updates.

I am just amazed . . . industry arrogance that nobody wants desktops or laptops any more (sales are declining, but a sale is a sale), and that we all will be computing on smartphones and tablets from here on out. And arrogance that the marketplace would never find another solution but theirs.

I think Win8 is a very good OS, but then they saddle it with its interface, and now this online upgrade scheme. Linux was not quite ready as a easy user interface when Vista hit...it is now. Will it (or closed shop Apple who is dumping Intel procs) finally start to get market share?

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:44 pm 

Check this out.

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like a positive development to me. The more backlash MS receives on Win8 the better it will be for potential future versions. MS needs to understand that the customer is king. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:15 pm 

Apparently there will be a new Update 2 soon that will restore the Start menu and some of the desktop interface and allow some Metro (tile, whatever the heck they call it) apps from the desktop. Of course that is the rumor mill.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS