Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: question regarding automated installs and image capture
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:02 pm 

Scott,
I've read around this a bit but think I'm getting a confused. I wanted to start learning about capturing custom images. So, before dabbling in MDT and such like, I wanted to just get a custom image working on a usb stick which doesn't require and user input other than plugging it in and changing the boot device in the BIOS. I've been able to follow this tutorial and deploy a custom image which I've captured. I can't get an answer file to work with it though, it keep prompting me for languages, etc. I take it that I should be able to use both together, the custom .wim and the unattend.xml? Also, am I correct in thinking that there a bit of overlap with both approaches, e.g. you can add drivers then capture an image or create an answer file which specifies the drivers to be added to a vanilla build?

Post subject: Re: question regarding automated installs and image capture
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

You should be able to use both, however apparently there can be problems. I saw some information here and here that might be helpful. Let me know if you get it to work. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:44 am 

Thanks Scott, I'll give some of these ideas a try and see what works for me. I'll report back when I find a fix.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:38 pm 

Scott wrote:
You should be able to use both, however apparently there can be problems. I saw some information here and here that might be helpful. Let me know if you get it to work. Scott.

Thanks the first link was very helpful, although I didn't actually read it correctly at first! You have to include the path to the .wim file as the poster outlines, in the Microsoft-Windows-Setup\ImageInstall\OSImage\InstallFrom section of the answer file. But, and this isn't made clear in the documentation, you have to use the relative path like so \install.wim. The Windows System Manager is pretty useful once you become comfortable using it, I think they could have made it a bit more user friendly though! One of the features I've found handy is the ability to run scripts at the first log in. So you can install a product key and automatically authenticate windows (you obviously need to be connected to the network) by running these as two separate commands:

cscript //b c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX (where X is your Windows key)
and
cscript //b c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

And set the firewall and powercfg options by using a couple of commend line options.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the tips, very good to know! Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS