Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: WIn7 installation issue
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:27 pm 

Windows 7 boot manager is my problem. Let me explain my rather unique situation.

I teach a college class in PC configuration and repair. The desktop PCs that we use are about as generic a machine that there is.

These PCs are used for both the PC class and all the rest of the classes in our program. The internal HDD, with Win7 installed is used for all the "regular classes".

For the PC repair class, each lab group is given a removable HDD in a tray that is plugged into a receiver bay in the PC. Students in the PC class use this HDD for all their lab work and leave the internal drive alone.

Students start with a "clean" HDD and install Win7 OS as one of the labs.

The PROBLEM is that the Win7 installation sees both drives in the system and will not simply target the installation to the removable HDD. The Win7 boot manager now comes into play and each HDD is not treated equally.

I have solved this problem by temporarily disconnecting the internal HDD, then installing Win7 on the removable (by itself). After that, the internal drive is reconnected and selection of which drive to boot from is made either in the BIOS Setup or by pressing F11 during boot up. This brings up a "boot menu" that allows the choice of which HDD to use.

OK, so how do I accomplish this WITHOUT having to disconnect the internal HDD?

Thank you for indulging my long question!

Post subject: Re: WIn7 installation issue
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:26 am 
Site Admin

During the "Where do you want to install Windows?" phase of the manual installation process you can select the destination drive and partition from those available, as well as delete and/or create partitions as necessary.

Unfortunately this is not possible if you are using an unattended (automatic) installation or deployment method. In that case I recommend disconnecting all drives except the intended destination as you are currently doing.

Once Windows is installed and all of the drives are reconnected, you can control which version or installation of Windows automatically boots by modifying the BCD store. While Microsoft provides tools to modify the BCD, by far the easiest and most powerful BCD modification tool is EasyBCD. Scott.

PS: I see this is your fist post, welcome to the forum!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:45 pm 

Scott, thank you for the prompt reply. I am honored to connect with you. Your Upgrading and Repairing PCs is the text for my class and the "bible" for PC tech reference.

As regards my posting, I am manually installing Win7 and I am selecting the removable drive as the target for installation. If I physically disconnect the internal HDD before I install Win7 on the removable drive, there are no problems. Please see attachment image #4.

Attachment:
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 212.9 KiB | Viewed 2287 times ]

With the internal drive remaining connected prior to the installation on the removable I get this. Please see attachment #3.

Attachment:
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 229.16 KiB | Viewed 2287 times ]

As you can see, no System Reserved partition is created. Win7 assumes a dual boot system and modifies the boot manager accordingly on the internal drive. The removable drive's Win7 install cannot operate alone.

The less than ideal solution thus far has been to disconnect the internal drive before installing Win7 on the removable, then reconnecting it afterward. This works and image #1 shows the configuration.

Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 236.13 KiB | Viewed 2287 times ]

Is there a method to achieve this without disconnecting the internal drive first?

Thank you for a reply and for the support of you readers. Best.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...As you can see, no System Reserved partition is created. Win7 assumes a dual boot system and modifies the boot manager accordingly on the internal drive. The removable drive's Win7 install cannot operate alone.

I see, thanks for posting the figures. I believe the "System Reserved" partition is causing your problems. I kind of forgot about that since I never allow Windows 7 to create it in the first place, as it overly complicates things and serves no useful purpose for most people (you really only need it if you use BitLocker).

There are several ways to avoid creating the System Reserved partition when installing Windows 7 or later, I normally use "method 3" as shown here, since it can be done during the installation with no advance preparation.

If you don't want to reinstall Windows without the System Reserved partition on the internal drive, you can remove it after the fact by following these instructions.

Installing Windows without the System Reserved partitions on either the internal or external should allow you to install Windows on the external drive without having to disconnect the internal. The end result should be single Primary partitions on both drives that are independently bootable.

Quote:
Scott, thank you for the prompt reply. I am honored to connect with you. Your Upgrading and Repairing PCs is the text for my class and the "bible" for PC tech reference.

Thanks for the kind words! I am honored that you are using my book in your classes, I really appreciate that! Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:52 am 

Scott,

Your analysis and solution were spot-on!

BTW, I favor method #3 for the install as well; it's a very clever technique.

I can easily implement this into the lab assignment.

Also, it gives me added talking points regarding the pros and cons of BitLocker.

Thanks a million for your help in this matter.

Best.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS