Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Dell Inspiron 660 Audio Issue
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:34 am 

Scott,

I am working on a Dell Inspiron 660 and I am having a difficult time resolving this audio issue I am having. The audio icon on the Task Bar has a red X next to it and when I install the Conexant High-Definination Audio Driver (from Dell's website), the audio does still not work and the following is added to device manager:

Other Devices: Audio Device On High Definition Audio Bus

It has a (Yellow Triangle with a !) indicating a hardware conflict.

How do I resolve this issue? The Service Tag is H2BFYV1

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/H2BFYV1/drivers?DCP=DndTag&s=DHS

-Aaron

Post subject: Re: Dell Inspiron 660 Audio Issue
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

The first thing to do in any situation like this is to verify whether it is a hardware or software problem. To do this boot from a from a self-contained bootable OS such as the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows or a bootable linux distro (with appropriate drivers included), then test the audio device to be sure that it works properly. If it works properly under the alternate software environment then most likely the problem lies with your original OS, drivers or other installed software. In that case I would first try removing and reinstalling the drivers, and if that didn't help then possibly a clean install is in order.

If the device is defective, then merely disable it and install a replacement in the form of an internal slot adapter, which in this case would be a PCI Express x1 sound card. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS