Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: HASP dongle and Windows XP mode
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:26 pm 

Hi Scott

I've been looking at a Windows 7 PC that needs some old CAD software installing.

In Windows 7, the software installs OK and the software recognises that its USB HASP dongle is present. However, despite installing with compatibility options, the program's File Open dialogue does not function correctly.

To fix this I installed Windows XP mode and successfully installed the CAD software within it. The File Open dialogue works successfully this way.

However within XP Mode, the HASP dongle is not recognised by the software, causing it to run with limited functionality. This comes about because the USB HASP dongle does not appear as a device to be added under XP Mode's USB menu.

Interestingly, the device also does not appear in the Windows 7 host's Device Manager (including when selecting to show Hidden Devices). This is despite the CAD software recognising its presence when running in Windows 7, as shown by the fact it runs with full functionality.

I wondered if you could shed any light on this please. The main problem seems to be that the HASP dongle is not sufficiently acknowledged within the Windows 7 host, to make it appear as an available device within XP Mode.

(The CAD software's supplier has failed to respond to an emailed support request.)

Thank you for your consideration.

Post subject: Re: HASP dongle and Windows XP mode
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

USB support in virtual environments can sometimes be limited. You might try installing XP in another virtual environment such as VMware Workstation. But the best solution might be to just install XP natively on the system, under which the software (and dongle) should work perfectly. In that case I'd also consider applying the registry edits mentioned here, which will enable Microsoft support until April 2019. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:55 am 

Hi Scott

Thanks for your reply. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something I didn't know about.

I had thought about trying the XP Mode VHD in VirtualBox, but came across references that indicated that there would be a problem with activation for XP Mode if it wasn't run in Windows Virtual PC.

However, after reading your reply it led me to have another look. I found this information here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12309/in ... te-plugin/
which seems to indicate there may be a way to make it work.

The PC is running Windows 7 Pro, so has downgrade rights to run XP natively if necessary. However the PC's owner has bought Office 2013 for it, which only runs on Windows 7 or 8. (In fact Microsoft's licensing is causing a lot of the headaches here.) Unfortunately the owner does specifically need MS Office.

I may try quickly installing XP with SP3 from an OEM disc in another virtual environment, without entering a license key, just to see if I can get the USB HASP dongle to work, before worrying about the activation.

Thanks very much for your help Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:45 am 
Site Admin

I would try using VirtualBox first and then VMware to see if they handle the USB interface any better than Windows Virtual PC. You should be able to use XP for up to 30 days without being activated to see if it will run the CAD software properly.

Using VirtualBox as described in the link you provided will preserve the XP Mode activation, however under VMware the XP Mode pre-activation would fail. In that case you should be able to use the Windows 7 downgrade rights to perform a telephone activation. Let me know how things work out! Thanks, Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:50 am 

Hi Scott.

Sorry for the delay in replying, but it's taken some time to try different methods. I think it's finally working though.

I first set up a test virtual machine running an unactivated XP installation, which was using VirtualBox 4.3.12, on my own system. The HASP dongle was recognised in this.

Then I attempted to transfer the XP Mode virtual machine from Windows Virtual PC to VirtualBox on the owner's system, as described in the howtogeek article, using the VMLite plugin. I discovered that VMLite (or the plugin at least) only works with version v3.1.2 of VirtualBox, so uninstalled the latest version of VirtualBox and installed this older one.

Following the howtogeek article instructions, I tried pointing the VMLite plugin wizard to the XP Mode folder and also the already created VHD. In both cases it failed to copy the VHD. (I think this may be because the XP Mode had already been run.) But pointing it at the downloaded XP Mode installation file worked. However the HASP dongle wasn't recognised in this version of VirtualBox!

In the meantime the PC's owner obtained an old (unused and genuine looking) XP OEM package from Ebay (with SP1 and the old style license which only required a piece of hardware to be supplied with it, rather then requiring to be installed on a PC that was to be sold on.) This only cost 25GBP - a new version of the CAD software to run on Windows 7, which is used to create instruction files for a specific CNC machine, would cost around 4000GBP!

I then downloaded and installed the latest version of VirtualBox, 4.3.16, on the intended system, to install the recently acquired OEM XP. But I couldn't get any virtual machines to start using this version - an internet search revealed other people having the same problem.

So I uninstalled this and installed version 4.3.12 which I had tried on my own system. XP was installed on this system, along with the CAD software. VirtualBox allowed the HASP USB dongle to be attached and the CAD software ran as normal.

So finally it worked!

Thanks very much for your help Scott and hopefully this might help someone else.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:59 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the detailed response, this will be very helpful to others needing to run XP on newer systems. I'm glad you found a solution that works, Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS