Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Trouble concerning two PCs in the same workgroup
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:10 am 

Scott, I currently have no less than two PCs that are part of the same workgroup. Both use the same Xfinity cable modem/router. One PC is connected wirelessly, while the other is actually wired to the Xfinity thing. Each PC recognizes the existence of the other, but when I try to one PC to access contents on another, I get asked for a password that I didn't create. I have tried the same password that I use to access the cable modem/router wirelessly, but it doesn't work. I admit to only getting the Xfinity thing recently. Is there any way of disabling the password stuff?

Details: After clicking on "View workgroup computers," I see the computer I'm on right now as well as the other computer. But when I click on the name of the other computer, I get a "Connect to syx-c8d1df4554" dialog box. (Syx-c8d1df4554 is the name of the other computer.) In the box is "Connecting to Syx-c8d1df4554" as well as the user name ("SYX-C8D1DF4554\Guest" in this case). A password is asked for, but I don't know it. When I'm on Syx-c8d1df4554 (the other computer is named Gateway1400), I get the same kind of dialog box with a "Connect to syx-c8d1df5445" heading. However, "Connecting to Gateway1400" is in the box instead of ""Connecting to Syx-c8d1df4554." Curiously, the user name is still the same even though I'm on a different computer. Both PCs have Windows XP Professional installed.

Post subject: Re: Trouble concerning two PCs in the same workgroup
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

In order for one computer (client) to access the files or printers of another (server), the server computer will have to share said files and/or printers. See the following documentation for more information on sharing files/folders: https://www.microsoft.com/resources/doc ... aring.mspx

Here's another good article that may help: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/GetArticl ... 5_5560.xml

Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:25 am 

I've shared a certain folder on the network, plus I've set it up to allow users to change it. I've disabled Windows Firewall on both computers, yet the same stuff has happen. When I'm on one computer and I attempt to check out the properties for the other, I get a Microsoft Networking dialog box that reads: "You do not have the appropriate access rights for this server. For more information, contact your network administrator." It's worth noting that on one computer, there have been times where I can initially access the shared folder and its subfolders, but after backtracking, I'm asked for a password when I try to acess the stuff again.

Last edited by Maxirad on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:28 am 
Site Admin

I don't know what "certain folder" you've shared, but at this point you may need somebody with local access to help figure things out. Let me know what the solution turns out to be. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:34 am 

Scott, what do you mean by "local access"? Keep in mind that on one computer, there have been times where I can initially access the shared folder and its subfolders, but after backtracking, I'm asked for a password when I try to acess the stuff again. Believe it or not, someone at Xfinity suggested that I contact Microsoft. The shared folder is on the computer that uses a wireless connection for the Xfinity cable modem/router.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:16 am 
Site Admin

By local access I mean somebody who can check out and troubleshoot your system in person. Check to see that Simple File Sharing is turned on, although that is the default setting. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:52 am 

Should I even bother changing routers, Scott? Not too long ago, I was using a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (Model WRT54G). I switched to using the Xfinity cable modem/router for my wireless connection due to speed issues.

BTW, for whatever reason, Simple File Sharing was turned off on the PC with the wired connection to the cable modem/router. SFS is now turned on for both PCs. Unfortunately, the same problem persists. I am able to use the PC with the wired connection to access the shared folder initially, but after backtracking, I am asked for a password that I don't know.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

Changing the router would have no effect on this issue. Make sure you haven't disabled the Guest account on any systems that are sharing files. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:16 pm 

I've turned on the Guest account on both systems. (It was off on both systems.) Unfortunately, the same stuff happens.

Scott wrote:
By local access I mean somebody who can check out and troubleshoot your system in person. Check to see that Simple File Sharing is turned on, although that is the default setting. Scott.

Would I bring to a technician the system that has the shared folder? The system that does have the shared folder currently has Windows XP Professional. (For the record, the system in question has a disabled Administrator account.) I've been thinking about removing the hard drive with the XP installation and replacing it with an SSHD. I've been thinking about doing a clean install of Windows 7 Professional on that SSHD.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

I was thinking more along the lines of having a computer savvy friend check things out, a paid tech would be too expensive. I'd consider reloading before paying that. Most likely the password is being required by the server, depending on how you have configured the share. I would try changing the shared folder permissions and see if you can share other folders. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:34 pm 

Scott wrote:
I would try changing the shared folder permissions and see if you can share other folders.

I took the previously shared folder off the network and shared four different folders instead. Unfortunately, the same stuff happened. I was able to access the folders from the other computer initially, but after backtracking, that stupid password prompt showed up again!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:37 am 
Site Admin

What happens when you supply the password for the user account(s) on the "server" system? Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:27 am 

Neither of the two enabled user accounts on the "server" system has a password right now. It's worth noting that in the dialog box that asks for a password, the user name is not highlighted.

Update: I've added a laptop to the workgroup. Not only is a password asked for when I try to get the laptop to access the "server" desktop PC, but a password is asked for when I try to get the laptop to access the non-"server" desktop PC. The laptop has a wired connection to the Xfinity cable modem/laptop.

Update 2: I've used Network Setup Wizard to turn on file sharing on the laptop as well as the non-"server" desktop. The Guest account is turned on for all three PCs. I have made a certain folder on the laptop a shared folder. I have also made a certain folder on the non-"server" desktop PC a shared folder. What's weird now is that I can freely access all of the shared folders on the laptop, yet when I try to use one of the desktop PCs to access the other two computers on the network, I am asked for a password. Keep in mind that the laptop does not have a whole lot of stuff on it, plus it has Windows XP Home Edition installed. (If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't even have the most recent updates for XP.) The two desktop PCs have Windows XP Professional installed.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

For file sharing to work properly the account sharing the files/folders will need a password, even if the shares themselves are not password protected. If you want you can configure Windows built-in autologon mechanism to automatically supply the password during logon. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:07 pm 

I've added passwords to both of the enabled user accounts on the "server" PC. However, except for one occasion, neither password has worked when I was prompted for a password on the non-"server" PC. I have attached an image of the dialog box that has been driving me crazy.

Attachments:
File comment: This is the dialog box that has been driving me crazy.
dialog box.JPG
dialog box.JPG [ 20.67 KiB | Viewed 4264 times ]
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:51 am 
Site Admin

Because of the variable nature of this problem it sounds like something is seriously wrong with the permissions and/or other settings on the systems. I'd start by reloading the "server" system and then continue with the others as necessary. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:57 am 

Scott, I have attached a log file of a Robocopy operation I did before I switched to the Xfinity cable modem/router for my wireless Internet connection. Keep in mind that the Guest accounts were turned off on both systems, plus the "server" didn't have any passwords for any user accounts.

Attachments:
File comment: Log file of Robocopy operation I did before I switched to the Xfinity cable modem/router
SystemBackup.log [246.98 KiB]
Downloaded 109 times
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

What happens when you attach a system to your network with a clean install, share a folder on it and open the shared folder on another system? If that works, then that would suggest problems with your original "server", if not then there may be problems with the other system. In those cases at this point I'd recommend reloading the systems. Let me know what the solution turns out to be, Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:39 pm 

Scott wrote:
What happens when you attach a system to your network with a clean install, share a folder on it and open the shared folder on another system?

I kind of, sort of did that yesterday with the laptop I brought up earlier in this thread. However, IIRC, I was prompted for a password when I attempted to get the non-"server" desktop PC to access the folder the laptop was sharing. Curiously, I was able to get the laptop to freely access folders the desktop PCs were sharing without being prompted for a password all the time. Keep in mind that the laptop has XP Home while both of the desktop PCs have XP Pro.

Update: I installed Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2 on this PC the other day. It doesn't have a whole lot on it. I created a folder on it that contained a text file, and I shared that folder on the network. I was able to get the non-"server" PC with the XP Pro installation to access that folder without being prompted for a password even after backtracking. Likewise, I shared two folders on the non-"server" PC with the XP Pro installation. I was able to get the PC with the Vista installation to access those folders without being prompted for a password even after backtracking.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS