Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: SCCM licence
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:23 am 

Scott,
I currently have SCCM 2012 installed in a test environment, purely for training purposes. It comes with a 6 month trial license, meaning that I could in theory just reinstall it after this expires. The problem is, as I'm sure you're aware, that this isn't a simple product to install and setting it up correctly takes a bit of time. My question is, with the demise of Technet, what would be my cheapest option to getting a license? From the research I've done there doesn't appear to anything that comes close to Technet for affordability for someone in my position and buying a license outright would also be prohibitively expensive.

Post subject: Re: SCCM licence
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

Some TechNet subscription alternatives are described here: http://techpageone.dell.com/technology/ ... net-ending

An MSDN subscription seems to be about the closest thing, but it it a lot more expensive and doesn't have as complete a library.

Another option is to use evaluation software, but that is normally time-limited. If you find out about anything else please let us know, Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:58 am 

Thanks Scott,
I suppose the reality is that there is that even the best alternatives are way behind Technet. An MSDN subscription is way more that I can afford to pay. I've looked into Azure, which looks like a more affordable alternative. At least I think it is, the pricing model is pretty complicated! The major drawback with Azure is, and correct me if I'm wrong, that for anything other that the OS you still require a license, which takes you back to square one if you plan to learn something like SCCM or Exchange.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:06 am 
Site Admin

MS has unfortunately decided to kill TechNet without offering a similar solution. That is why most people I know in this industry are looking past MS. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS