Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Question concerning backups and shared network folder
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:26 pm 

Scott, is it true that when it comes to using a shared network folder for backups, you would really prefer that such a folder be on an internal hard drive that has no OS installed?

Post subject: Re: Question concerning backups and shared network folder
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

I prefer a network backup share to be on *multiple* external drives (one backup is not sufficient) as it makes it easier to move them should the current server fail. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:27 pm 

Scott wrote:
I prefer a network backup share to be on *multiple* external drives (one backup is not sufficient) as it makes it easier to move them should the current server fail. Scott.

I know that backups should be made onto more than one external drive that would usually not be connected to a system. However, as far as the initial shared network folder (the one which would be backed up onto more than one external drive) is concerned, should it be on a hard drive that has no operating system on it?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:23 am 
Site Admin

My preferred setup is to backup to a network share (which is on an external eSATA or USB drive attached to the server), then have the server automatically back those drives up to another duplicate set of external drives, and in some cases to another duplicate set of drives on a different server in a different location. This allows the user(s) to make one backup, and then the server automatically copies those backups to other drives and even locations. The use of external drives makes it easier to add, remove, and move multiple drives between different servers and/or locations. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:37 pm 

Scott, do you think it would be a good idea for me to invest in this type of docking station so I can have only one hard drive internally installed in my usual desktop PC and exclusively use "external" hard drives for holding backed-up data? I'm worried about my usual desktop PC not going into Hibernate mode on time if I were to share a "Backup" folder over a network.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:25 am 
Site Admin

Maxirad wrote:
Scott, do you think it would be a good idea for me to invest in this type of docking station...

No, I have yet to see a dual-drive dock that I could actually recommend. They have issues with power connections as well as the inability for most systems to see the 2nd drive via eSATA. For redundancy and backup use I recommend multiple single-drive docks with multiple interchangeable drives. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS