Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: flash scan without repair
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:20 pm 

Windows (probably a recent version) on public terminals is offering to scan and fix my 1GB flash drive lately or to let me skip that offer and let me use it without even the scanning. But Microsoft does not offer an option to scan without fixing. This started after my flash exceeded 90 percent full, thus showing up as red in Win's Computer dialog, and after I used the flash in a Linux machine. Occasionally, the flash apparently comes loose from the USB connector on my non-Win laptop; but I usually use Eject, shut down, log off, or some such to properly remove the flash safely. I've refused to let Win fix the flash and I haven't noticed a problem yet. I create, edit, and delete folders and files. Fedora 20 Linux does not assert a problem. Is there a way to get a Win scan report without a fix?

Here's what the dialog says (with arrows omitted):

Do you want to scan and fix KINGSTON1GB D:)?
There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc. This can happen if you remove the device or disc before all files have been written to it.
Scan and fix (recommended)
This will prevent future problems when copying files to this device or disc.
Continue without scanning

Post subject: Re: flash scan without repair
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

You can scan a volume (drive letter) by running the CHKDSK d: (where d: indicates the volume to scan) command at a command prompt. Without the /F parameter it will report any problems found but will not write to (meaning Fix) the file system in question. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS