Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: WINOWS XP HOME SP 3 (LATEST) - Corrupt?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:55 pm 

Hi,
My Dell E520 (2007) seems to have corrupt windows (HOME sp 3 utd)
Service tag: 10z8zc1

It started giving errors that filenames were too long,, incorrect etc. It wouldn’t open files (.pdfs) (file1.pdf)
I downloaded another version of file1.pdf and tried to copy it to the folder where file1.pdf would not open The new version copy would not open but it opens at the origin.)
File1.pdf’s right-click menu was abbreviated – no properties etc.

The files did open in adobe.... (IOW doubleclicking did not work but opening adobe (XI) and then opening file1.pdf worked).

Avast! (free) 2014.9.0.2021 (completely UPD) was negative. I cannot run malwarebytes because its filename “is too long” etc. (according to it and windows).....

I used system restore (wanted 2/2/2015) but it did not, but 2/11/15 succeeded.
Since then I am copying every file to flash drives.

It seems to be succeeding in copying...

I am afraid to use the E520 and I DO NOT want to copy files to my other PCs / laptop(s)....

There are VERY FEW errors in event viewer.... they are irrelevant....
And when file1.pdf does not open there’s no error message...
I have NOT tried office diagnostics

I need suggestions PLEASE (aside from reloading windows since I think the
system is too old (5/18/2007))...

POSSIBLY related (although I cannot see how)
1. There has been AN EXTREME amount of SPAM from attglobal.net “Apparently “Brightmail” is not functioning" – this has continued for weeks)...
I never open anything..... (I am VERY careful)

2. I copied to a flash drive but undid the copy....

3. I very often empty temp files (start | run *.temp)
followed by "Disc cleanup"
System tools ...

THANK YOU!

Post subject: Re: WINOWS XP HOME SP 3 (LATEST) - Corrupt?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

Once a system is so badly corrupted it can be virtually impossible to find and fix all of the problems with hundreds if not thousands of files. In other words this sounds like a system badly in need of a reload! The most important thing is for you to back up your important files first.

Once you have backed up any important data, the next step would be to use the method provided by Dell to restore the system to the factory original configuration. Then you can use the Dell SupportAssist program to automatically update the system from that point to the present.

You can find more information on the Dell Restore/Reinstall process here: http://www.dell.com/support/Article/ca/ ... _347576/EN

Hope this helps, Scott.

Post subject: Re: WINDOWS XP HOME SP 3 (LATEST) - Corrupt?
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:30 am 

Scott wrote:
Once a system is so badly corrupted it can be virtually impossible to find and fix all of the problems with hundreds if not thousands of files. In other words this sounds like a system badly in need of a reload! The most important thing is for you to back up your important files first.
Hope this helps, Scott.

Thank you

It is running well!

I am still copying files (And I cannot find my windows XP CD)....
Questions still:
1. This could have occurred after an adobe update - That is why I want to restore the registry to the beginning of the month.
If it will not "accept" a copy (2/2/15) does that mean the copy is corrupt? Or the computer is.
If I use safe mode, could a "bad" copy be installed?
(I cannot recall the error message but I don't think it was a "valid" error).

2. I am copying files (still) to several drives.
I am afraid to use them on another computer. Is it enough to run the flash through an avast scan ("Removable disk")?

3. My other desktop is windows XP pro. (Overheats SFF).
SVC TAG: 9Z9K5M1
I cannot search: It freezes the entire system.
Please advise

4. Yesterday (before the reg restore) I could not use the scanner - Error "Filename" I cannot recall. Today I can.

5. Finally - Do you have any faith in Avast! Grimefighter?
It states there are 20 things it could do - I don’t trust these!
My malewarebytes won't run because it states to uninstall it but I cannot both ADD/REMOVE and malewarebytes uninstall state the set up files are corrupt.
(This could be incidental).

6. If I have to reinstall windows (which I am sure I’ll have to) where are the dell documents kept (Just under C:\dell?)

Thank you!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I am still copying files (And I cannot find my windows XP CD)....

Your system probably didn't come with a restore disc, the recovery software is in a special partition on the hard drive instead. If you wish to restore your system follow the instructions under "Using Dell PC Restore by Symantec" on p. 55 of the Dell E520 User Manual. Note again that *all* data will be destroyed, so be sure any files you want to save are copied to other media first.

Quote:
If it will not "accept" a copy (2/2/15) does that mean the copy is corrupt? Or the computer is.

A failing file copy could be caused by problems at either the source, destination, or both.

Quote:
If I use safe mode, could a "bad" copy be installed?

A file copy should be identical to the original whether it is done in Safe mode or not.

Quote:
I am copying files (still) to several drives. I am afraid to use them on another computer. Is it enough to run the flash through an avast scan ("Removable disk")?

A malware scan using a known-clean (non-infected) computer should be sufficient to test the files for any included malware.

Quote:
My other desktop is windows XP pro. (Overheats SFF).

I recommend first cleaning the system (dust removal), then check the fans to be sure they are working and replace any that have failed. If that doesn't help then remove and reinstall the processor heat sink, cleaning off and re-applying new thermal interface material (thermal grease) in the process. The service manual for the system shows the procedure.

Quote:
Yesterday (before the reg restore) I could not use the scanner - Error "Filename" I cannot recall. Today I can.

In that case it sounds like the system restore may have corrected the registry and/or driver errors that may have been the cause. If the system is currently running normally then you may not need to go as far as a full "Dell PC Restore".

Quote:
Do you have any faith in Avast! Grimefighter?

I haven't tested them so I cannot make any recommendations for or against.

Quote:
My malewarebytes won't run because it states to uninstall it but I cannot both ADD/REMOVE and malewarebytes uninstall state the set up files are corrupt.

I do use and recommend Malwarebytes Free edition. If you cannot uninstall an older version in order to install the latest, then first use mbam-clean.exe to completely remove the older version of Malwarebytes, then download and install the latest version.

Quote:
If I have to reinstall windows (which I am sure I’ll have to) where are the dell documents kept (Just under C:\dell?)

The Dell PC Restore feature I mentioned earlier should automatically reinstall everything that was on the system when it was new. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:27 pm 

Scott wrote:

Quote:
A file copy should be identical to the original whether it is done in Safe mode or not.

I thought that "SAFE MODE" usually solves issues like problematic installations?

The search problem on the OPTI 780 (SFF) is a software issue I read there is a KNOWN problem with the search on XP PRO due to indexing?
Microsoft had some registry fix which did not work:
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll

I had read somewhere about disabling indexing but from day 1 with the optiplex searching never functioned. (At that time IIRC error was "indexing not complete".) (But it never froze requiring an UNPLUG!)

I could not find this issue on your Web site.

Quote:
In that case it sounds like the system restore may have corrected the registry and/or driver errors that may have been the cause. If the system is currently running normally then you may not need to go as far as a full "Dell PC Restore".

Keeping my fingers crossed but if I do not have to reinstall windows, at least I have a LARGE NUMBER of utd copied files!

(Clean on another PC).

Quote:
Quote:

I do use and recommend Malwarebytes Free edition. If you cannot uninstall an older version in order to install the latest, then first use mbam-clean.exe to completely remove the older version of Malwarebytes, then download and install the latest version.

When I downloaded a copy the error was that I had to uninstall the older version.
(But I cannot due to the "corrupt setup files".)

I will try the mban-clean.exe

Could I alternatively uninstall mwb in safe mode?

THANK YOU!!!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I thought that "SAFE MODE" usually solves issues like problematic installations?

Safe Mode is designed as a way to start Windows with a minimal set of device drivers and services. One would not want to install software in Safe Mode (especially that which might depend on the drivers and services not being loaded), but merely copying files is no problem.

Quote:
The search problem on the OPTI 780 (SFF) is a software issue I read there is a KNOWN problem with the search on XP PRO due to indexing?

I wouldn't say there is a known problem but due to performance issues I always disable the indexing service by default on Windows XP installations.

Quote:
I will try the mban-clean.exe
Could I alternatively uninstall mwb in safe mode?

I would just use mbam-clean, it will insure that the program is completely removed. Scott.

Post subject: Re: WINOWS XP HOME SP 3 (LATEST) - Corrupt?
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:21 pm 

You might also run the Diagnostic portion of the Dell DX app (assuming it is intact) to test your hard drive for errors.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us ... N114988/EN

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:23 pm 

Scott wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't say there is a known problem but due to performance issues I always disable the indexing service by default on Windows XP installations.

Should I post this issue under another SUBJECT?
If not, To confirm: I'd disable indexing via Start | run | msconfig | services?

(When I got the OPTIPLEX the search would fail with the error that indexing had not been completed.)

This did not accomplish anything:
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Thank you VERY much for the help!

Touch wood the E520 *seems* fine

Tanya

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
To confirm: I'd disable indexing via Start | run | msconfig | services?

It is better if you set the Indexing Service to disabled as follows: http://www.wikihow.com/Turn-Off-Windows ... ng-Service

Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS