Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Windows Shared Drive Randomly Disconnecting in Windows 10
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:33 pm 

Hi Scott,

My wife and I have matching HP dv6 laptops, and connect to a Western Digital external hard drive connected to a HP Pavilion desktop. Our laptops currently run Windows 10, and our desktop runs Windows 7 Pro.

Everything has connected wonderfully, until around the time we upgraded to Windows 7 (within the last few weeks). The desktop can ping the two laptops, but the laptops cannot ping the desktop. Eventually, over time, the connection re-establishes itself, but I cannot figure out how to get the connection to restore.

I've tried unchecking IPv6 (leaving IPv4), setting WINS to use TCP/IP and then setting it back to Enable WINS to use DHCP, I've tried re-mapping the drive. Nothing works.

I don't know if there's a conflict between Windows 7 and Windows 10, or if something deeper is wrong. I also can't tell if the issue is on my end or is something on Microsoft's end.

Can anyone help/shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance!

David

Post subject: Re: Windows Shared Drive Randomly Disconnecting in Windows 1
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

So you're saying that before you upgraded the desktop to Windows 7 the Windows 10 laptops were able to connect to the shared drive? You can find some ideas for solving networking problems between different Windows versions here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... nt-windows

I would recommend turning off the Windows Firewall for starters. For my own purposes I no longer "map" drives, I merely create an icon that opens the share via the UNC directly: http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/arcg ... hnames.htm

For example I have a Windows Explorer shortcut on my desktop that directly opens the shared Music folder on my server. In the Target box of the Windows Explorer shortcut I have entered "%systemroot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,\\MYserver\Music", where "MYserver" is the server name and "Music" is the share name. When I double-click on that icon Windows Explorer opens showing the root folder of my Music share, no drive letter mapping required. You can see the command syntax for Windows Explorer here. With the Win8 and later File Explorer you may have to use the "Pin to Start" feature to get the same control over the initial appearance. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:18 pm 

That's exactly right, Scott. The drive connected and was accessible as long as the desktop system was powered on every single day. Only when upgrading to Windows 10 did it start disconnecting randomly.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

So far I do not recommend upgrading to Windows 8 or 10. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS