Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: what happen to windows movie maker in windows 7
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:45 pm 

what happen to windows movie maker in windows 7 pro 64bit?

Post subject: Re: what happen to windows movie maker in windows 7
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

I've never used that application myself so I wouldn't know the answer. Why do you ask? Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:56 pm 

Moved to Live, and then updated to 2012:
http://windows-essentials.en.softonic.com/

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

There has to be something free that not only works better but doesn't come with so much baggage. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:11 pm 

Scott wrote:
I've never used that application myself so I wouldn't know the answer. Why do you ask? Scott.

just wanted to know because I know windows 8 and windows 8.1 and windows 10 it don't come with it and i thought windows 7 came with it.... its easy and a dirty way to make home videos and burn them on to a DVD LOL <G

spiderman.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:12 pm 

Scott wrote:
There has to be something free that not only works better but doesn't come with so much baggage. <g> Scott.

What are you talking about scott what do you mean by so much baggage? So what are you talking about something free and not only works better etc.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

spiderman wrote:
What are you talking about scott what do you mean by so much baggage?

I was talking about the fact that to get Windows Movie Maker 2012 you have to download (and presumably install) the entire Windows Essentials suite: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... essentials

Quote:
So what are you talking about something free and not only works better etc.

Given the performance and functionality of most MS software I was wondering if there was something free that works better than Windows Movie Maker 2012 and would not come as part of a bloated suite. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:59 pm 

Scott wrote:
spiderman wrote:
What are you talking about scott what do you mean by so much baggage?

I was talking about the fact that to get Windows Movie Maker 2012 you have to download (and presumably install) the entire Windows Essentials suite: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... essentials

Quote:
So what are you talking about something free and not only works better etc.

Given the performance and functionality of most MS software I was wondering if there was something free that works better than Windows Movie Maker 2012 and would not come as part of a bloated suite. Scott.

yeah but I don't want flash install on my computer anymore.

I don't any crapware on my computer.
thanks.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:08 am 

I believe you can pick and choose what ultimately gets installed on the PC. But I won't guarantee it because I have only done it once, but I remember the client who wanted Essentials selected only two apps of the package [He was a Outlook Express user who wanted to try "Mail" or whatever the OE replacement was called. He finally went with my original suggestion: Thunderbird. Which he didn't like because I was unsure I could port his current email and addresses over to Tbird. But in typical MS fashion Mail didn't either. The other app selected was the Paint replacement which I suspect he also did not use.]

I do not know how you can get around Flash. I hate it and it is a serious continuing security issue, but hard to run many things without it.

I'm not sure why you would consider Essentials crapware. Crapware is usually installed on your PC without permission and usually takes up more than space (like phones home). As long as you are using MS Update rather than Windows Update then there is no greater frequency of polling MS servers for updates. That said, I was mighty unimpressed with Essentials when they first came out and ignored it ever since. Had they been a 64-bit collection of apps released with Vista (which did have such a collection of even cruder apps) it would have made sense to me for users switching to 64-bit OS who wanted then non-existent Windows 64-bit apps to explore. But otherwise it was just dubious value added.

Bottomline, if you are comfortable using Windows Movie Maker then continue to do so. I could never figure the darn program out and went with a commercial setup that seemed more intuitive to me. But lots of folks were mighty impressed with WMM and its spartan power and price.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS