Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Windows 10 broke wifi, even when going back to Windows 8
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:27 pm
Posts: 1105
Location: Stowmarket, Suffolk England
Got a Lenovo Yoga 2 13 here (20344)

http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/product ... novo/20344

It was running Windows 8, wanted to install 10 so did the automatic updater.

It failed the Wifi after install similar to this KB article.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3084164

After reverting to Windows 8 *and* resetting Windows 8 the issue is still with Windows 8.

I saw this pirential fix, but I don't have the CLSID entry on this Laptop

http://www.askvg.com/fix-network-connec ... ters-list/

***Issue resolved with a minimal msconfig and startup tab boot, offending item removed from boot***


Last edited by David McMahon on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10 broke wifi, even when going back to Windows 8
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:36 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:44 am
Posts: 5739
The license sticker should be inside the battery bay. I *never* recommend upgrading (or downgrading) an OS. In this case I would recommend a product restoration (aka OneKey Recovery or factory reset) which should reinstall the original OS, drivers and applications included on the system when it was new. Scott.

PS: If it were mine I would install Windows 7 instead...


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10 broke wifi, even when going back to Windows 8
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:27 pm
Posts: 1105
Location: Stowmarket, Suffolk England
Scott wrote:
The license sticker should be inside the battery bay. I *never* recommend upgrading (or downgrading) an OS. In this case I would recommend a product restoration (aka OneKey Recovery or factory reset) which should reinstall the original OS, drivers and applications included on the system when it was new. Scott.

PS: If it were mine I would install Windows 7 instead...


Thanks Scott, I did try OneKey Recovery sadly the error persists.

This machine like others Win8/8.1 machines has no Licence sticker.

***Just noticed that Windows Safe mode with networking enables the Wifi and I've connected to the network***

***Laptop is working now, one piece of software had caused the problems, safe mode and a Mscofig-edited boot had solved the issue.***


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10 broke wifi, even when going back to Windows 8
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:50 am
Posts: 508
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
David McMahon wrote:
....***Issue resolved with a minimal msconfig and startup tab boot, offending item removed from boot***

Don't you think you owe us a description of the item removed?


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10 broke wifi, even when going back to Windows 8
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:27 pm
Posts: 1105
Location: Stowmarket, Suffolk England
FascistNation wrote:
David McMahon wrote:
....***Issue resolved with a minimal msconfig and startup tab boot, offending item removed from boot***

Don't you think you owe us a description of the item removed?


I'm not entirely sure, the issue is semi-random!

On the last "Clean" one-touch factory restore, I found that Wifi was working without having to use safe mode or Msconfig reduced boot.

Also on the last Factory reinstall, I found that Folder options were how I set them last and not MS or Lenovo defaults!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... er-options

Above is info for Windows 7, but similar is in Windows 8.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron