Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: office product key location
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:08 am 

Hello
I am reinstalling Office 2013 as I get the same error when I try to open any of the office applications. Is there anyway I can extract the product key. I did run the script command line which is supposed to show the last product key but the error I got was access denied.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: office product key location
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:21 am 

No offense, Ford, but do you know about LibreOffice?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:31 am 

Ford wrote:
Hello
I am reinstalling Office 2013 .... Is there anyway I can extract the product key. ...

Belarc Advisor lists it. If you kept an old copy of the results or reapply the backup and then grab it.

Magic Jelly Beans likely lists it as well....I haven't used it in a while nor have I owned Office past 2002.

The key itself is not stored on the disk. A algorithm takes the product key submitted and sees if it is good. This is why any disk works with any real product key for the disk's product.

This is also the reason I write all product keys onto the top of their DVD with a Sharpie. It may not be a recommended way of doing it but the tops of DVDs are more impermeable than the lacquer based CD tops.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:47 am 
Site Admin

In addition to the previously recommended key retrievers I also recommend NirSoft ProduKey. It lists Office 2010 but I'm not sure if it works with 2013 (let me know if it does).

When dealing with software that comes on physical media (CD/DVD) I normally use ImgBurn to create an ISO (file) copy, then I place the product key in the name of the file or in a text file with the same name. I keep all of these files on a network server. Anytime I need to reinstall I can either use the ISO to burn a new physical copy or better yet merely mount the ISO as a virtual drive and install from it directly. When I need the key it is readable from either the ISO filename or matching text file. With this system one no longer needs to keep physical copies of any software. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:17 pm 

Hello
No offense, but the customer has already paid for office.
Magical and Nirsoft both do not work with Office 2013
So because his office has crashed does that mean he needs to pay again to get a new key.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:49 am 
Site Admin

Ford wrote:
So because his office has crashed does that mean he needs to pay again to get a new key.

At this point I believe that is up to either Microsoft or the place of purchase. Let me know what you find out. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:27 am 

From experience I've had with installing Office 2013, you should be able to do the following:

Log in to the customer's Microsoft Account, go to the Office section and install directly from there, no need to enter the product key.

You can also view the product keys in the Microsoft Account if required.

Things get complicated if multiple individual Office 2013 licenses have been registered, as there's no way to see which computer they're installed on in the Microsoft Account.

At the risk of stating the obvious, when using the command line script which is generating an access denied error, is the command line being Run As Administrator?

Hope this is helpful.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS