Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: windows 10 popup
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:48 pm 

Hello
I have a windows 8.1 machine and the windows 10 entire window pops up when I restart the computer.
How can I turn it off.
There has been suggestions to disable GWX and uninstall the KB update but to stop it coming back I have to leave the windows updates turned off.
Ford

Post subject: Re: windows 10 popup
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:34 am 

This is the tool I use, hope this helps. There are lots of other options to disable Win10

http://www.infoworld.com/article/297957 ... nd-81.html

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a link to the author's page for the GWX Control Panel tool: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/0 ... emove.html

I highly recommend using this tool to effectively control the Windows 10 malware. The "accidentally" forced Windows 10 "upgrade" has effectively disabled many systems where the forced upgrade has attempted to be canceled or reversed. Shame on Microsoft for hijacking people's systems like this. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:06 pm 

Ford wrote:
....There has been suggestions to disable GWX and uninstall the KB update but to stop it coming back I have to leave the windows updates turned off.
Ford

This suggests you have already used GWX. Please remember GWX is only as good as its latest update, and unfortunately as the registry hacks come out to disable the latest MS Win10 Upgrade patch(s) released, then new registry hacks need be sought and GWX (which keeps track of and does the registry hacks automatically for you) unfortunately needs to be upgraded.

This is a continuing war with MS. I suppose it will continue until the one year free upgrade offer is up. And who is to say the advertising will stop after that. One of the generous new features of Win10 is the inability to stop upgrades all together. tfpic :P

I must say I do not have these upgrade offers continuing from MS since I made initial registry hacks. So either Win8.1 is more vulnerable to these advertisements than the Win7 installs I have or you keep installing these incessant Windows Upgrade patches that get released. MS uses deceptive language to get you to install them and it kills me that there may actually be a security patch mixed in there somewhere, but so far every one of them--and there have been a lot of them--are simply methods to open up the adware for MS on your free upgrade. I presume you do not allow automatic updating from MS?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

FascistNation wrote:
...This suggests you have already used GWX.

"GWX" is the name of the Microsoft "Get Windows 10" malware: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

I believe Ford was saying that he has the GWX malware on his system and not the GWX Control Panel.

Quote:
Please remember GWX is only as good as its latest update, and unfortunately as the registry hacks come out to disable the latest MS Win10 Upgrade patch(s) released, then new registry hacks need be sought and GWX (which keeps track of and does the registry hacks automatically for you) unfortunately needs to be upgraded.

I agree for the reasons stated that one should install the latest version of the GWX Control Panel to best control the Win10 malware. To help in that regard the latest version also has a "Check for updates" feature. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:53 pm 

I just unchecked "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates". Then uninstalled kb3035582, then hid that update. Problem gone. Does windows 8 make this more complicated or something?.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:43 pm 

Scott wrote:
.... I believe Ford was saying that he has the GWX malware . ...

I was unaware of it. Thanks.

Popped back to add a link:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3012613/ ... tk.rss_all

But other than I find it interesting I guess it doesn't apply.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

FatGuy wrote:
...Does windows 8 make this more complicated or something?.

If you read the page FN posted above you'll see that it is *Microsoft* that is making this more complicated by attempting to force the Win10 malware on Win7 and 8 users. I recommend that users of Windows 7/8 turn automatic updates off and set updates to notification only. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:01 pm 

Oh, I got to add this: (enjoy)
Disable Windows 10 Spying - Privacy & Security

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kGMCfb2xw

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS