Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Turn Windows Features Off or On Appears Blank
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:16 am 

Hi Scott,

My work laptop is a Dell Latitude e6440, and it runs Windows 7 Enterprise (I work for a small women's university in Connecticut).

I downloaded Active Directory so I can utilize it on my laptop to reset or unlock student, staff and faculty user IDs.

Once it downloaded, I went to enable it at Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features Off or On, but the window does not load. It remains blank.

Researching this online, I've tried running the Windows Readiness Tool, which did not fix it, I've tried going into Regedit and deleting the registry keys (gives me an error), and I've tried searching for the KB947821 update on my machine to uninstall it, but it does not show up in the list of installed updates. I NEED Active Directory, so I'm scrambling to find a way to get it enabled, but am hitting roadblock after roadblock.

I finally tried reinstalling the update and then removing it, but it again does not appear in the Update List.

Any help you or the other folks on the site is greatly appreciated! I'd prefer not to have to reimage the machine and run through the hassle of setting everything up again.

Sincerely,

David Thompson

Post subject: Re: Turn Windows Features Off or On Appears Blank
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

The Active Directory tools are contained in the Remote Server Administration Tools: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=7887

Once they are installed you should be able to turn on the Active Directory Administrative Center. You can see a step-by-step procedure here: https://www.itsupportguides.com/windows ... ers-tools/

Hope this helps, Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:46 pm 

Thanks for the link, Scott. Unfortunately, soon as I ran it, it said, "This update is already installed," but the Turn Windows Features Off or On window remained blank.

I think I'm going to reimage the laptop tomorrow when I get in, and cross my fingers, pray to every God imaginable and hope that the issue is resolved once and for all.

I'll keep you posted on the result! Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Dave

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:21 pm 

Okay... Update on the issue/situation.

I couldn't get the window to appear, so I just decided to wipe the machine and reimage it. Once I did that, I was able to get AD installed and active for me to use.

Thanks!

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS