Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Questions concerning Windows 7 and hibernation
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:50 pm 

Scott, if a desktop PC with a Windows 7 installation ceases hibernating by itself after a while despite no new program installations and no changes in settings, what could be the reason? What if a cold boot seems to temporarily solve the problem?

Post subject: Re: Questions concerning Windows 7 and hibernation
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Without any changes to the system I can't imagine a reason. Otherwise I would suggest malware, other software that might interfere, or possibly problems with drivers or maybe even the hardware. Let me know what the problem/solution turns out to be. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:56 am 

Yesterday, I reformatted the Seagate SSHD in my SYX PC and performed a clean installation of the 32-bit version of Windows 7 Professional on it. Unfortunately, after initial success, my PC failed to go into hibernation after the latest period of 20 minutes of idle time that I have set. Programs and Features only lists eight programs:

*Atheros Communications Inc.(R) AR81Family Gigabit...
*ATI Catalyst Install Manager
*GWX Control Panel
*Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.2.0.1024
*Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
*Mozilla Firefox 43.0.4 (x86 en-US)
*Mozilla Maintenance Service
*Ralink RT6x Wireless LAN Card

All eight programs were installed yesterday. In addition, my PC has both Autoruns and Process Explorer. Do any of the programs I've mentioned seem suspect to you, Scott? (I did do a Malwarebytes scan yesterday.) If you suspect a hardware failure, what should I try to replace first? Keep in mind that my PSU is an HX750 that I obtained in 2013. My motherboard is a 760GM-P33. My video card is an ATI Radeon HD 5450.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

I would first make sure you have the latest BIOS installed and that the settings related to power management and hibernation are correct. I would also make sure you have the latest power management drivers for the motherboard. Finally make sure that hibernation is enabled in Windows.

If that doesn't help, then I suspect that one of your other installed programs is causing problems. You could uninstall them one by one testing hibernation after each uninstall until it works. Another option is to reload the system (with drivers) from scratch, then insure that hibernation works without anything else installed. Once you have established that hibernation works, then install your programs one by one, testing hibernation along the way. If hibernation stops working you will know it was caused by the last program you installed. Let me know what the problem/solution turns out to be. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:40 pm 

Scott, I don't know where I can get the latest power-management drivers for the motherboard in question. I do know about this, however. Keep in mind that I have installed the 32-bit version of Windows 7 Professional. The latest BIOS for the motherboard that I know of is installed. I am going to install the latest known system and chipset drivers.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

You can download the System and Chipset drivers from the motherboard mfr. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:56 pm 

I've download and installed the new system and chipset drivers. I'm going to observe my PC over the next several days. I'm not planning to install any new programs for a while. Should I install any new programs such as Adblock Plus? Should I install critical updates for Windows 7 Professional?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:39 pm 

Scott, my system at least attempted to install 152 Windows updates. Unfortunately, it failed to configure them. What could be the reason? Keep in mind that I have the GWX Control Panel installed.

BTW, I have removed a wireless LAN adapter as well as software (the driver?) associated with it, but it didn't make my hibernation problem go away. Yes, I can manually make the PC go into hibernation. It's going into hibernation after a period of idling that is the big problem.

I can't uninstall the AMD Cataylst Install Manager too easily. It seems to me that if I choose the option known as Express Uninstall ALL AMD Software (Remove ALL AMD software components, including AMD Cataylst Install Manager), not only will the AMD Cataylst Install Manage will be uninstalled, but the following drivers will as well:

-AMD USB Filter Driver
-AMD Display Driver
-HDMI Audio Driver

Scott, do you think it would be a good idea for me to choose the Express Uninstall ALL AMD Software option?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:34 pm 

Update: For my latest clean install, I only installed Windows 7 Professional, AMD Catalyst Install Manager (like I had a choice), and the latest known drivers for my motherboard (system, chipset, and LAN drivers). For the latest clean install, I have yet to install any network adapters or associated drivers. The system is not even connected to the Internet at the present time. So far, I've observed that my PC consistently goes into Hybrid Sleep mode after a period of idle time, but it only went into S4 (hibernation) mode once after idle time. The power plan I'm currently using is one that's basically the system's default Power Saver plan except that I've made it not require a password upon waking up. I can make my PC go into S4 mode manually, of course. It seems like I can't uninstall AMD Catalyst Install Manager without uninstalling necessary drivers as well.

Curiously, I remember my system failing to go into Hybrid Sleep mode after a set period of idle time before I reformatted my SSHD on January 20.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:30 pm 

Scott, I've come across this c|net article from 2012. Is the "powercfg -requests" command particularly useful in finding out why a desktop PC with a Windows 7 installation won't go into hibernation or S3 mode? Should one rely on Process Explorer instead?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

I think that both can be very useful tools. What have you learned by using them? Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:10 pm 

Scott, I have had an issue this afternoon where my usual desktop would't go into S3 mode after a certain period of idle time. I used the "powercfg -requests" command to find out what was going on.

Attachment:
remote client.jpg
remote client.jpg [ 28.25 KiB | Viewed 3780 times ]

Scott, tell me what the following usually means: "An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine." I did come across this.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

What do you find when you use google to search for that error? Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:35 pm 

I have come across this, this, and this. Scott, let me know if I should enter the following command via an elevated command prompt:

powercfg -requestsoverride DRIVER \FileSystem\srvnet system

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

What exactly did you learn from those links? What happened when you tried that command? How would you undo the effect of that command if so desired? Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:08 pm 

I didn't actually execute the "powercfg -requestsoverride DRIVER \FileSystem\srvnet system" command. I can't say I wasn't afraid of what might happen. In any case, the problem apparently went away after I manually put my usual desktop into S3 mode.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:45 pm 

I've come across this page. Scott, do you think it's a generally good idea to have media streaming off on the grounds that it might interfere with my usual desktop going into S3 mode?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

What are the results of your experiences with media streaming turned on and off in regards to interfering with sleep mode? Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS