Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Issue with IE11, Win 7, and msn.com
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:53 pm 

Scott, I have Windows 7 Professional installed on my usual desktop PC. Too often, IE11 refreshes msn.com by itself. This issue does not occur when I use Mozilla Firefox to view the msn.com site. I have essentially tried all of the methods listed on this page, but none of them have rectified the problem. At least once, when I tried to get onto msn.com using IE11, I got a "This page can't be displayed" message, and I wasn't even logged into my Microsoft account. Another problem is that I have received "This page can't be displayed" messages when I tried to use IE11 to go onto various sites where I was logged into accounts associated with them. There was at least one incident where IE11 repeatedly refreshed Amazon.com when I was logged into my Amazon account. Scott, should I do yet another clean reload of Windows 7 Professional? If I use an official Microsoft installation disc for the reload, I should definitely install prerequisite updates for IE11.

Post subject: Re: Issue with IE11, Win 7, and msn.com
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

Note that this behavior is not only normal, it is intentional. Many websites (especially news or aggregate sites like MSN, CNN, ESPN, NBCNEWS, etc.) use code to cause browsers to refresh their pages. This can be done via HTML or Javascript code.

There are ways to disable the HTML Meta Refresh code in many browsers and one can also disable Java in the browser, which can help to stop this otherwise normal behavior. Be aware that doing this may cause some sites not to work properly. I also recommend running Adblock Plus in all browsers as ads can also initiate page refreshes. Finally, I recommend using only Firefox or Chrome for browsing and using IE only for Microsoft Update. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:53 pm 

Scott wrote:
....I recommend using only Firefox or Chrome for browsing and using IE only for Microsoft Update. Scott.

Or to use IE to download Firefox or Chrome. :-D

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

FascistNation wrote:
Scott wrote:
....I recommend using only Firefox or Chrome for browsing and using IE only for Microsoft Update. Scott.

Or to use IE to download Firefox or Chrome. :-D

Nice one! <g>

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:22 pm 

A big problem I have with IE11 for Win 7 is that I too often get a "This page can't be displayed" message after I log into my Facbeook account using IE11.

Attachment:
error message.png
error message.png [ 155.21 KiB | Viewed 966 times ]

I usually don't get the message when I'm on Facebook using IE11 and I'm not logged into my Facebook account

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

Use Firefox or Chrome as recommended.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS