Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Email hell help! I'm trapped in email hell!
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:15 pm 

I'm not sure this is really the appropriate place, but, this is the best place I know to as for help.

I'm getting ungodly amounts of SPAM that is out of control. I've tried using filters, rules, keyword, etc.

The problem is the IN Box will say something like "Medicare Deadline" (Something I NEVER signed up for in the first place). The actual email address is "Btuk7z@kc025hgEa0.xqastronomically.com" There might be 10 or 12 emails over several days "from" the so called sender "Medicare Deadline" but every actual email address is different. So, adding sender to Blocked Emails does not work.

I've got the same situation with quite a few others with different sender titles but they will have an email address of "<newsletter@brokendecisive.pw>" again, the "brokendecisive.pw"
is different even for emails that have the "same sender".

It's sort of counterproductive to retire this email address, but I do not know how to get ahead of all this unwanted email because there are dozens and dozens of different addresses every few days or so.

This is an ISP provided email address if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Email hell help! I'm trapped in email hell!
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

You can use an email client like Thunderbird (highly recommended, that's what I use) to take full control and filter out what you don't want to see. I would also recommend using the opt-out links (if provided) to opt-out of any repetitive emails you are getting. Other than that you just learn to recognize and delete them (without reading them) or just change your address and start over. It helps to have multiple addresses, some you give out publicly (which are more likely to get spam and can easily be changed) and others you retain for entirely personal use. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:04 pm 

Thanks for the hints Scott.

Is Thunderbird better than Outlook?

I've been using Outlook so far.

The problem with trying to filter out the junk is even though the email "looks" like it's coming from the same sender, just blocking that sender isn't helpful. They are using a dozen different addresses behind what "looks" like the same sender.

I've always heard using the opt out and unsubscribe links were one of the worst things to do as that was only confirming your real address.

Thanks again.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:44 am 
Site Admin

glen4cindy wrote:
Is Thunderbird better than Outlook?

I certainly believe so.

Quote:
I've always heard using the opt out and unsubscribe links were one of the worst things to do as that was only confirming your real address.

As with most things you do have to use some common sense. If the spam is from a legitimate source then almost certainly the opt-out/unsibscribe links work. I have reduced my spam volume tremendously by using them. Most of the illegitimate sources I see don't have opt-out links so those emails simply get deleted. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS