Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Scott, I've disabled Window Search in Windows 7 Professional
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:43 pm 

I've also deleted the Windows.edb file. Did I do some bad things, Scott? I know about this post of yours from way back when. Would you recommend a substitute for Windows 7's Windows Search in this day and age? If so, does Classic Shell count? If I did do some bad things in this case, how can I undo the damage? You have told me that "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" should be unchecked. No offense, but perhaps you meant to say that it be unchecked for SSHDs and traditional HDDs, but unchecked for SSDs. (I did come across this.)

Update (8/5/2019): I've re-enabled Windows Search and rechecked the "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" box for the SSD that's internally installed in my usual desktop PC. I am planning to recheck that box for the SSHD that's internally installed in my usual desktop PC. What should I do for traditional HDDs that are only occasionally attached to a laptop or desktop PC with a Windows 7 installation?

Post subject: Re: Scott, I've disabled Window Search in Windows 7 Professi
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:21 am 
Site Admin

What does your research tell you? Scott.

Post subject: Re: Scott, I've disabled Window Search in Windows 7 Professi
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:03 pm 

The way I see it, I should have Windows 7's Window Search enabled and have the "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" box checked on all storage drives that are permanently installed in a system. However, what about external drives that are only occasionally attached to a particular system with a Windows 7 installation?

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS