[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs Forum • View topic - Preloaded vs Full vs Upgrade Software Versions
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Preloaded vs Full vs Upgrade Software Versions
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:46 pm 

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hi Scott!

Here's my third question from my previous e-mail, which I cut from it
in order to have it posted to the Windows OS category, not having been
aware of this forum and its setup until very recently. (Thanks for
filling me in!)

1. The Sony, model VGN-AR630E, (and many other computers) comes
preloaded with Vista Home Premium. Am I right in assuming that
the actual FULL version of the program is NOT included in the box,
but rather some sort of software application that allows you to
recover if your system crashes? Also, I've discovered that full
versions of Vista Ultimate and MS Office (especially the version
with the Access database included, which I am considering) are
INCREDIBLY expensive!!! Are there lower cost upgrade alternatives,
and what disadvantages are there to going this root? (Currently
installed on this computer is 98SE, although I do have 2000Pro for
another machine which is currently not in working order. Also, my
version of MS Office is 97, and as far as I can tell, it is not
possible to upgrade to the current versions of Office using it.)

I hope I've provided you with enough information as to my concerns.
As I've been using older equipment and software, for the most part,
I've been quite a bit behind in following the current trends in the
market. When I bought my computer, I was told that it is usually
better to purchase a full version rather than the upgrade, as it was
simpler and quicker to reload in the event of a reinstall. (I only
had to use one CD, rather than having to put another OS on first and
then upgrading it.) OEMs had started preloading software on computers
back then but it seemed that if you had the misfortune of a hard drive
crash, without the full box versions of the software, you were out of
luck. (This may be a completely erroneous assumption on my part, as I
was not well informed on this, and I didn't pursue the issue, as I was
using full boxed versions of all of my software -- when I was young,
single, with much fewer obligations, and a lot more money to spend any
way I chose. Not so any more, unfortunately! :) I don't, therefore,
understand this preloaded software business, when it comes to Vista,
although it seems it forces you to buy new software for every new PC
you purchase or build, as it seems tied to one machine once it's been
installed. Is this correct?

TIA for any advice/information you can send my way. I appreciate it!

Paul

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS