[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs Forum • View topic - Hiding a Hard drive
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Hiding a Hard drive
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:08 am 

Hi Scott,

How do you hide a slave and/or a Master Hard drive in xp or vista, such that it cannot be viewed in my computer?

-- Kit

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:11 am 
Site Admin

You can hide an entire drive by disabling the drive in the BIOS Setup. To do this you would change the setting for that drive from "Auto" (default) to "None" or "Disabled". Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:09 am 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject: Hiding a Hard drive
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:26 pm 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:30 am 

Hi Rod,

I thought a single active Hard drive without any partitions will be assigned C: drive by default and that's what represents a Hard drive in My Computer. Am NOT asking about hiding partitions, but rather a single active default Hard drive C: and it remains functional.

Thanks, Kit.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:45 am 

Hi Mike,

A friend of mine asked me whether I could hide the Hard Drive. Someone had done it for him and the computer remained functional.

Thanks, kit

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:53 am 

Hi Kit,

I can see there is some confusion here.

I used to and will from now on use the term "hard disk" to refer to a physical device and use the term "drive" to refer to a partition. They can also be called "volumes" but we won't go there today.

Bottom Line: Any storage device (hard disk in this case) that can be partitioned, MUST be partitioned (and formatted) in order to hold files. Even if you have just one hard disk in a working and bootable (to Windows) PC, it still contains at least one partition and this partition in most cases would take up all available hard disk space and therefore be the only partition on the hard disk and this partition would be assigned drive letter C.

You can have hard disks in a PC connected and setup correctly in the motherboard ROM BIOS and Windows will see it but if it has no partitions, nothing will show in the My Computer window, but of course you can see the hard disk in device manager and use disk management to partition and format it.

So, what you are asking is can you hide the C partition (C drive in my computer) and not have any adverse side effects ?

Rod.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:10 am 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:36 pm 

Hi Kit,

In order to get the right answer, one has to ask the right question.

You can hide any drive letter and Microsoft provides the "how to"...

Microsoft has this to say on the subject > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555438

WARNING WARNING
Read the whole page before you do anything in the registry and also, you can see from the registry key mentioned on that webpage that this setting only effects the currently logged in user.
Keep in mind that doing this action may also effect other things not mentioned on that Microsoft knowledgebase page.
These instructions are for Windows XP ONLY and I don't recommend you go hiding drive letters in Windows Vista, Vista has enough problems running smooth as it is <g>.

If you feel you are not confident doing this, let me know and I can try it on a test system I have and let you know the results.

I am also wondering why you want to hide the C drive.

Rod.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:19 pm 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:10 am 

Hi Kit,

LOL....did I scare you?

You said you have encrypted password data so you won't be able to use that solutiuon on the Microsoft knowledgebase.

A few things...
I can't try the Group Policy option because I don't have a Windows domain. I'm not sure if you know what Group Pollicy is but the solution on that Microsoft knowledgebase page I gave you is telling the reader the registry entry that would be created on the Windows domain client PC if the Hide these specified drives My Computer Policy were in effect in Group Policy on a given Windows domain.

That knowledgebase article is explaining how to manually create the registry entry if your PC is not effected by Group Policy/not in a Windows domain. As a matter of interest, that article is not from Microsoft but a 3rd party, namely > http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=gp;en-us;cmtyCNtent

There are no Administrative Tools programs that I am aware of that allow you to hide drive letters and yes, I checked in Local Security Policy and I currently don't know of any other way. I would advise against any 3rd party programs that claim to do it.

Now, there are Microsoft Managament Console snap-in's that may provide an option to do what you want, but I have not mentioned them....for a very good reason.

There are many policy registry entries that you can do manually (if you know them and their effects) for doing things like hiding tabs on dialog boxes and making some options inaccessible. Some malware has been known to do just that, to prevent the user undoing the changes the malware made by hiding parts of the Windows GUI. Fixing some problems created by some malware requires a huge amount of knowledge.

Anyway, there may be other ways that I'm not currently aware of.

Rod.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:52 am 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:10 am 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:48 pm 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:41 pm 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:59 pm 
Site Admin