Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: filename extensions belong to whom?
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:39 am 

I found about 250 files on my computer named *.58M and I'd like to know which program is responsible for them before I delete them on general principle. For this question, .58M is just an example.

Does Microsoft offer programmers a facility for registering filename extensions to assure uniqueness, apart from those that should respond to double-clicks through file associations recognized in Windows?

I tried searching MS's Knowledge Base and the Web generally but maybe I don't have the right terminology. Apple used to register creator codes (although I found a bunch of games that used MIKE as their creator code for score sheets or whatnot, not something likely to lead to calamitous mismatching) and it's hard to imagine Microsoft doesn't offer a service like it for the revenue.

Thanx.

--
Nick

Post subject: Re: filename extensions belong to whom?
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:13 am 
Site Admin

What is the extension? Or is this confidential?

Mike.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

There is no official central resource for assigning or governing file extension usage on PCs. There is however a general state of cooperation among developers, in that once a given extension is claimed for use by a popular application, other developers generally find something else to use rather than risk conflicts with pre-existing applications (especially if they are popular). Still, over the years multiple applications have claimed the same extension, which can cause compatibility problems if two or more applications using the same extension are loaded on the same system.

Note that while there is no "official" governing body, an unofficlal "defacto standard" central resource has emerged called FILExt: http://FILExt.com

That is what I consider to be the master reference for file extension usage, as developers often check there before using a new extension in order to avoid conflicts with pre-existing applications or usages. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:50 pm 

Thanks. http://FILExt.com looks good, even though it didn't have this extension (which, Mike, was 58M). I looked up a familiar extension and it was right about that one.

Turns out I had discarded the many *.58M files, probably after I drafted the first post on point, but still had one, which, however, was over 5 MiB. I didn't recognize any clues inside it, and it was too old for me to remember what I did that day and time. I've since discarded it.

I suspect it might have to do with my Canon i560 printer, perhaps something to do with spooling, but I'm nowhere near being sure, and so unsure that I'm not even bothering to send my suspicion to FILExt. The main clue is that it was in a folder about printing, but not on the C: drive, which surprises me, because I think spooling is always on C:, which is crowded, and I often have a problem printing a long multi-page document in one pass, whereas the other drive usually has plenty enough space. So maybe it's not a spool file, but then it's hard to explain its size, unless it's for post-spool page content for some reason. So the answer is I don't know what 58M is.

Thanks.

--
Nick

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:04 am 

Solved re 58m or close enough to solved:
http://filext.com/file-extension/58m

I just the other day analyzed the beginnings of a couple of the files and Tom, whose site Filext is, researched it from there. Thanks all around.

--
Nick

Post Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:28 pm 

Update: About a different extension, I submitted the extension's new use to Filext a few weeks ago and got a 405 error and did not see an alternative way of submitting (despite http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html section 10.4.6), so I contacted its owner, Uniblue, asking if they still take submissions. Uniblue did not answer. The new use is not in Filext now from any submitter. A similar but possibly smaller database is at file-extension.com but that's also owned by Uniblue, so I didn't try submitting to it. Is anyone else doing compilations like these?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately I don't know of any others. Hopefully the submission problem is temporary. Did you try using the FILExt Gadget to submit? Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:30 pm 

That apparently requires submitting everything on my hard drive, and maybe I could hack around that but it also requires that I install Google Desktop, which Wikipedia (which is not always reliable) says was discontinued and while a third party offers a copy I don't want to install a copy from a third party. So now this project is taking too much of my time and I'll stop here. Thanks.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS