Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Server Hardware

Post subject: turn off raid
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:52 am 

Hello

My HP ML110 server has raid. Windows is loaded on it.
I want to disable the raid which I did by deleting the raid array in the separate configuration window (Ctrl+F) but when I try to install windows SBS error is - setup didn't find any hard disk drives installed on your computer....
The server has x4 sata harddrives all plugged into a pci card. (PCI slot 5)
Its a phoenix bios and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to turn raid on or off. But I notice that Serial ATA in the bios is set to disabled and greyed out.

Thanks
Ford

Post subject: Re: turn off raid
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:42 am 
Site Admin

Post a link to the mfr. support page and/or documentation for the system. Was the RAID card provided by HP? What make/model is it? Post a link to the RAID card mfr. support page and/or documentation. Also what version of Small Business Server are you using?

Bottom line: Windows isn't seeing any drives during the installation because the proper drivers are not present during the install (either integrated into the installation disc or provided via some other media). If you are not using RAID, perhaps you could remove the card and connect the drives directly to the motherboard based SATA host adapters? In that case if the motherboad has an integrated RAID controller you'll have to make sure that is disabled as well. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:25 pm 

Hello Scott
Thanks for replying.
Yes the card is raid. There's no brand except for Serial ATA stamped on the board.
The chipset says Promise ATA Raid 5 PDC20621

I don't know if it came with the pc because I purchased it second hand.
The post I made earlier about the power supply is for the same machine and I managed to get that working by shorting the power pins on the motherboard. Seems to be turning on fine now.

Yes I'll try your suggestion of plugging in the drives to the motherboard. The mobo does have x2 sata ports. But I am wondering why I would need to reload the raid drivers as all I did was to delete the raid array. I didn't expect to have to reload the drivers.
I don't need the raid but can I use that card just as a normal sata extention? But I suppose I still need the drivers. There is x4 sata HDD's I may as well use them.
Sorry I couldn't find the mfr support page you mentioned.

Thanks
Ford

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I don't know if it came with the pc because I purchased it second hand...

That's exactly why you want to check the mfr. support page and manual(s).

Quote:
...Seems to be turning on fine now.

If the problem happens again the PSU may be failing.

Quote:
...I am wondering why I would need to reload the raid drivers as all I did was to delete the raid array.

Whether you actually have the drives configured in an array or not is immaterial. If the drives are connected to a RAID host adapter, then you will need to have the proper drivers for that adapter for the drives to be recognized under Windows. If the adapter came with the unit (as I suspect), then you will be able to get the drivers from HP.

Quote:
Sorry I couldn't find the mfr support page you mentioned.

OK, now you're just kidding around, right? I mean you must be, since that is after all the very first link that comes up on a simple google search. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:54 am 

Thank you for your reply.

I wish I was kidding around but I am slightly learning disabled so I may miss things that are straight forward for others. I'm sorry my post was inapproriate.

I'll try and see if there is a support page on the HP website.
Thanks for your other suggestions anyway

Ford

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:58 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I wish I was kidding around but I am slightly learning disabled so I may miss things that are straight forward for others. I'm sorry my post was inapproriate.

Your post was completely appropriate, as was my response. Please understand that my primary role is as a teacher and guide. In other words my objective is not so much as to give out answers as it is to teach people to find answers for themselves, and learning find (and utilize) the mfr. support documentation for a system is one of the most important lessons there is.

Quote:
I'll try and see if there is a support page on the HP website.

If you click on the "simple google search" link in my previous post, you will see a google search for the terms "hp ml110", where the very *first* result is the mfr. support page you are looking for. From that page you can access the specifications, manuals and other support documentation related to the specific system in question. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:14 am 

Hello
Thanks, that helps
Ford

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:20 am 

Update
Hello
I have now solved this issue, partially. I plugged one of the harddrives directly into the mobo but still the bios won't detect it. I completely removed the sata controller hoping this would force the bios to detect the single drive.
The bios settings for the sata are still disabled and still it won't detect the single drive.
This might actually be a permanent setting in the bios. Overwritten by the sata controller software.
I tried to reset the bios back to default but it didn't make any difference.
I found a work around I plugged back in the Raid controller and went into the configuration utiiity (Fast track FT S150 SX4)
I can define the array as JBODs on each disk. I found the Raid controller drivers on the internet and put them to floppy. I have now installed MS SBS 2003 sucessfully. On the other drive I will try and install XP and see what happens. Utimately I want SBS, XP and Linux on a different drive each. I guess I'll have to find the correct Raid drivers for each operating system. Here I go.............

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:41 am 

http://www.promise.com/single_page_sess ... _8&rsn=144

If you get taken to the general promise home page or Promise support page goto downloads then legacy downloads :)

They have Red hat and Suse Linux drivers, which may be good enough or hackable!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:29 am 

Hello
Great thanks for that.
I have found the correct windows drivers and I now have SBS 2003 on one disk and XP home on the other disk. That's working fine and now I'll just have to get the linux drivers and my security lab will nearly be done (hardware-wise)
:D

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Server Hardware