Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Server Hardware

Post subject: best raid configuration for home/server?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:05 am 

I’m running Win7 and using it as a in home server. Currently I have six 1.5t hard drives raided together in a raid 5 set up. As I have been told here before that is not the best or safest avanue. So far I have been lucky for about a year and a half, I have not had any issues. I have backed up my data and would like some suggestions on a better/safer way to build my system. If possible, I would like to maintain one large logical drive.

1. I currantly have the raid set up though my bios (raid 5), so it takes some time to pass post and fire up the operating system. good/no good?

2. There are now large hard drives available (like 3T and 4T), would it be beneficial to purchase three of those large drives and raid them together like I currently do instead of using six smaller drives?

3. Other option I have thought about was using an external storage box which houses four or five drives with the capability of raid.

4. Should I be using raid 5 instead of raid 0 or raid 1?

Post subject: Re: best raid configuration for home/server?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

I normally recommend RAID 10 over RAID 5 since it offers the the best balance of redundancy and performance. Array build/rebuild times are also significantly shorter with RAID 10. Intel RAID 10 uses 4 drives, however you could add a 5th as a "hot spare".

You could also use an external NAS (Network Attached Storage) device. If you go that route let me know what you choose and how well it works out. Scott.

PS: No matter what type of storage is used, one or more full backups should always be maintained.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
one or more full backups should always be maintained.

Yes, RAID is not a substitute for backup!!!

Mike

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:38 pm 

I do have the data backed up to a separate location in a different computer. i back up using the Karrens replicator program. I did purchase a netgear readyNAS box, it was DOA on delivery. i called the netgear and they sent me out a refurbished unit. the refurbished unit although powered up would not work and tech support could not come up with a solution. This is why im rethinking again and seeing what you guys think. is it best to raid though the bios or through the operating system?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...is it best to raid though the bios or through the operating system?

With Intel RAID on a bootable array you need to do both. The bootable array would be initially configured via the BIOS, then after the OS is loaded the array would be optimized (e.g. write-back cache turned on, hot spares added, etc.) or reconfigured via the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Control Center. If you are creating a non-bootable array, then you can skip the BIOS and just use the Control Center program directly. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:24 pm 

it is a non-bootable raid. i have the OS on a small ssd. as always, thank you Scott and Mike for your help. if you have any other sugestions please let me know, it is always nice to hear from people that actually know what they are doing.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Server Hardware