Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Server Hardware

Post subject: Building a 2017 WEB server in 2012
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:14 pm 

Hi guys this is my first post on here so be gracious.

Since I have zero server building experience my concerns may be a bit far out left field but my opinion is that traditional thinking is no longer the most advisable approach when determining server hardware requirements simply because of the insane pace at which computing hardware is being advanced.

So as the subject says I am trying to determine what is the most logical approach to deciding on hardware specs ONLY FOR web servers. The general objective (or challenge) is to achieve a level of performance that will still be acceptable 5 years from now.

My thought process about the whole web server thing is that no matter how fast processors get we are still going to be limited to whatever limits are imposed on us by the technology and hardware responsible for the maximum data transfer speeds of the internet.

Based on that assumption I started working backward from a theoretical maximum of 12GBps of achievable data transfer speeds and concluded that the cost of a web server can be significantly reduced by only including hardware required to achieve that throughput efficiently without any bottlenecks. If I am anywhere close to the right path with this thinking then that leaves me with no hope as far as moving data to and from server hard drives is concerned, since even in SSD format, hard drive transfers are nowhere close to even half my 12GBps target.

Apart from other bottleneck factors I may be overlooking so far, is there anyway to probably achieve close to 12GBps of HDD data access using a virtual approach to HDD access where the the server addresses a number of drives as a single unit allowing for read/write access somewhere close to 12GBps?

TTE thoughts...

Post subject: Re: Building a 2017 WEB server in 2012
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

I would recommend looking into a SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) drives in a RAID configuration. Using this technology you can attach hundreds of drives to a single server. For example, a SAS Network Storage System like this unit from HP has a reported bandwidth of 600MBps. Unfortunately you'd need a network of about 20 of those to achieve your target of 12GBps. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:34 pm 

Thanks alot. Sometimes I wonder if PCIe wouldn't be a better data bus for SSD technology to achieve higher data transfer rates easier since the only thing that really gets to use vacant PCI slots nowadays are graphics cards.

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

TTE wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if PCIe wouldn't be a better data bus for SSD technology...

Yes indeed, that is available. I just noticed this is your first topic, welcome to the forum!

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:51 am 

Thank you and just because you took the time to reply to my post I feel welcome here already. I actually went back into your book today and saw where you mentioned PCIe SSDs. Have no idea how I missed that. I hope you plan another release of Upgrading and repairing servers sometime soon because I would love to learn about the nuts and bolts of these newer technologies. I went wild over the performance specs even though I suspect obscene prices for the one I liked the most. You know you're a nerd when you call the company that makes a product and the sales team doesn't know anything about the product you called to inquire about because the technology is so new. The drive I went wild about is This awsome thing! poor sales rep had no clue what I was talking about lol

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Server Hardware