Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Server Hardware

Post subject: Esxi Server
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:27 pm 

Hi Scott,
I'm looking to build a server for virtualisation with Esxi. I initially looked at buying something like a Proliant Dl380 but was warned about the running costs. Instead I thought about just using desktop hardware and building my own. With that in mind, what would thoughts be on something such at this motherboard with (eventually) 64GB of RAM and maybe a Core i7 4930k?

Post subject: Re: Esxi Server
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 pm 

I assume you have this laying around or can get it used cheap? 2012 x79 board. And when it comes to ASUS and Scott .... :-)

It certainly can do virtualization assuming esxi supports the MB and CPU.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compat ... search.php

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

craig wrote:
...what would thoughts be on something such at this motherboard with (eventually) 64GB of RAM and maybe a Core i7 4930k?

My thoughts are that is an expensive way to go, but if you really want a 6-core processor you should get a newer Haswell core unit like the i7-5820K, which requires an LGA2011-v3 socket motherboard. I prefer MSI or GIGABYTE brand motherboards and FN knows that I do not recommend ASUS boards since they don't follow the industry standard pinout for front panel connections. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:04 pm 

Quote:
My thoughts are that is an expensive way to go, but if you really want a 6-core processor you should get a newer Haswell core unit like the i7-5820K, which requires an LGA2011-v3 socket motherboard. I prefer MSI or GIGABYTE brand motherboards and FN knows that I do not recommend ASUS boards since they don't follow the industry standard pinout for front panel connections. Scott.

I did forget that you don't like Asus boards, sorry! Is your point, therefore, that a 4 core CPU would give close enough performance for a fraction of the price of a 6 core unit?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

You could get a higher clock rate 4-core processor with a less expensive motherboard for overall less than a 6-core setup, which for many applications might even perform better. But a lot depends on what you are using the server for and how many users will be connected. For example an SQL server running a large database application with many users could probably use more cores, but for simple file and print sharing I believe that may be overkill. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:02 pm 

Quote:
But a lot depends on what you are using the server for and how many users will be connected.

I'll use it just as a test lab for learning stuff. I'm using SCCM at the moment which runs SQL server. This tends to eat RAM and CPU! Maybe a better idea would be to have more than one server, running virtual machines, which are networked together.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Server Hardware