Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Server Hardware

Post subject: Generic Host Process for Win 32-Services encounted a problem
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:06 pm 

Hi Scott,

A server PC with Windows server 2003 started to show this error message after 30 minutes it was cold booted:

"Generic Host Process for Win 32-Services encounted a problem and needed to close..."

After a 30 seconds count-down, it could restart itself. It repeated doing the same thing each time it was warm or cold booted. The hard drive was formatted and thereafter a clean installation of Windows XP SP 2 was performed instead. Unfortunately, the server PC - with now XP pro sp 2 installed, does not show the client PCs in a workgroup after 30 minutes have elapsed. Each time you boot the PC, and 30 minutes elapse, there are no indications of any Client PC in the workgroup. Amazing, when you try to double check on the clients, you can see other clients PCs. What might be the problem and the fix for these two scenarios?

Thanks, Kit.

Post subject: Re: Generic Host Process for Win 32-Services encounted a problem
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

I've heard of that error on systems which were not fully updated or which were already infected with malware, as well as those having hardware problems (especially with defective memory). The first thing to do would be to insure that all Service Packs and critical Windows updates have been installed. In particular this update seems to be of some importance in correcting this issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921883

Next, try checking your memory with one or both of the following tools:

Windows Memory Diagnostic
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Memtest86
http://www.memtest86.com

They are both free, and work extremely well.

If installing all of the latest service packs and updates doesn't help, and testing the memory doesn't find a problem, then I'd do a full malware check, and of course remove anything bad that you find. Let me know how it works out, Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:03 am 

Hi scott,

Thanks a lot! I concur with what you are saying. The system is not well protected. It has only AVG 8 for it's protection and I don't think that can provide a fully-fledged protection for a server PC. And when XP SP 2 was installed, I believe Windows updates were not made or Windows auto update option was not enabled. We'll try this and if the problem still happens. Then we shall try to double check with the memory and see what it turns about to be.

Thanks, Kit.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:13 am 

Hi Scott,

Yes, the problem was that the critical windows updates are not installed. After installing Windows updates, the problem was resolved.

Thanks,
- Kit

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Server Hardware