Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: delay write failed
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:28 am 

Hello

I had a delay write failed - data will be lost ..etc error message come up on my workstation pc. The path linked back to a file on the server which I had open at the time.
The server has a Raid 5 configuration. Looking on the internet there seems to be lots of causes for this type of error. Ruling out physical hard drive issues I am thinking that the raid controller or raid drivers could be the problem.
Not sure exactly how the write caching works but I have Upgrading and repairing PCs 18th edition and am trying to locate this in the book. Its probably in there somewhere, just not sure where to look

Thanks
Ford

Post subject: Re: delay write failed
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:36 am 
Site Admin

Check out the following articles and suggestions contained therein: http://support.microsoft.com/search/def ... ite+failed

I believe this is more of a Windows problem than a hardware problem (or other systems accessing the file would have the same issue), but let me know what the solution turns out to be. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:37 pm 

Hello
Thanks for the link
The company's IT guy is coming today. I'll post back how they solved it.

Ford

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:00 pm 

Hello
We had our tech look at the server and checked all events but couldn't offer an explanation as to the error. It hasn't occured again. They had previously updated the raid drivers.

In the meantime server is still running. I'm leaving that job on the 1st May. If something happens between now and then I'll post back. An error like that I don't believe will only be a one off. A couple of weeks before the error occured server had crashed. It didn't shut off completely all fans and lights going just nothing on screen. Powered it down then turned it on again and all is ok. No data loss.

Ford

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration