Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: broadcom wireless adapter gone after updates
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:48 am 

hi scott
might just be a coincidense but my broadcom wireless adapter disappered after microsofts latest updates. i tried restoring to a point before updates but it was still gone.it is not listed in device manager and can not be detected by windows diagnostics or network diagnostics hp wireless assistant in control panel does not open my laptop is an hp presario f730us running windows vista home premium broadcom wireless adapter 1.8 ghz amd athelon 64x2 dual core tk55 brodcoms site support was not much help i did not find any similar situations on microsofts site any information woud greatly be appreciated
thank you
hollice

Post subject: Re: broadcom wireless adapter gone after updates
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:38 am 
Site Admin

Check the BIOS Setup to insure it is not disabled. Also try installing the latest driver. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:30 am 

Latest driver on the HP site for your laptop. You are correct...the Broadcom site is not much help in grabbing the latest driver. You didn't state whether you had the 32-bit or 64-bit Vista, but fortunately the driver is for both.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:00 pm 

hi scott hi fascist nation thanks for answering my post.32 bit forgot to add that. I did not see a setting in the bios for anything related to the wireless card. I downloaded the driver but that did not help. I also downloaded the chipset driver and the flash bios just about everything but audio. I removed the card booted the machine shut down reinstalled the card but it still was not detected. maybe my card just went south. coincident ? probably try a new card.

thanks hollice

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

I'd toss a spare HDD in there and try a clean install with the latest driver. If that didn't help, it would verify that this is more of a hardware than a software problem. At that point I'd probably try removing and reinstalling the card (reseating it in the connector). If neither the clean install or reseating helped, then I'd replace the card. Let me know how the story ends... Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:21 pm 

By chance did your laptop come with a Norton Security product?. Try uninstalling your security suite, whatever it is you have installed. Restart and check for you wireless card in device manager. Then try Action>scan for hardware changes in device manager if you don't see it.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:23 am 

Hi scott
Hi all

I backed up my stuff and reinstalled on the same disk still no luck removed the card again rebooted shut down then reinstalled the card no detection ,i started using a usb wireless card for now a little awkward but ok till i get a new card
thanks for all the response
hollice

ps. i love all the books read them all the time i am thinking my next will be upgrading and repairing networks thanks again

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:44 pm 

Strange coincidence for the card to die with an update, try using an air can to remove dust (if any) from the slot and try the card again, also try a Ubuntu live disc to see if Linux picks up the device. Also does your laptop have a hardware/software Wireless switch?? Maybe you knocked it with your hand once and still turned off.

Had a laptop once where the hardware switch got broke though over use. So maybe a new switch is in order??? See if you can borrow a Wireless card before buying one.

Best of luck, David

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:46 pm 

I still say to uninstall your Security software, whatever it is, Norton, Mcafee, or whatever. Uninstall it.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration