Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Use DSL with Third Party DSL Modem?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:32 pm 

Scott I was wondering if you recommend using a third party modem with a DSL connection?. I'm wondering what advantage that would have since most providers already offer a modem when you sign up for the service. Pretty sure you do recommend purchasing a third party cable modem with cable internet, but what about dsl service?.

I was wonder about this and searched at NewEgg for DSL modem. I already own a router so was looking for something without a built in one. Anyway, I found only one option,

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=554

So what would be the advantage of this?

Post subject: Re: Use DSL with Third Party DSL Modem?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

The only advantage would be financial, owning vs. renting. It can also help to have an extra modem on-hand for troubleshooting if necessary. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:54 pm 

In the UK we have a good website called ISP review. Maybe the US/Canada has similar?

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:48 am 

Netgear has two offerings, the DGND3300 and the DGN2000. The DGND3300 supports dual band operation on 2.4 and 5 GHz and supposedly transfers more data that way. It also runs in strictly 2.4 GHz mode if you wish. I like the extra speed but I'm not sure if the dual band mode would be compatable with most standard laptops. It requires the WNDA3100 USB adapter if you want to go dual band on your computers but I suppose any standard adapter would work if you don't want to take advantage of the dual band function.

If that's the case then save some money and get the DGN2000. It's strictly 2.4 GHz and uses the WN511B, WN311B, WN111, WN711 adapters. The WN311B is really nice. It's a standard PCI adapter with a detached antenna that you can point and adjust anywhere for the best signal strength.

I'm not sure what the real world difference is in speed between the two.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:00 pm 

Be sure to check with your DSL provider. They often have an "approved" list of boxes, and some get obnoxious if you have one that is not on the list.

PS: If it is on the list, be sure to save it as I have run into cable modem problems when a box that was approved no longer appears on their list and they try to give me grief until I remind them the box was at one time approved and are they offering to buy the box from me?

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration