Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Accessing a network drive over a wide area network?
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:17 am 

I've been trying to figure this out for a while now, but I still have had no success. I want to be able to access my network drives of the internet (or WAN). I have tried using this program called FileZilla (http://filezilla-project.org/) but it seems a bit too complicated (or maybe it's just me. After all, I am still a "noob" at this whole networking thing). Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can accomplish this?

Post subject: Re: Accessing a network drive over a wide area network?
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Joe,

It sounds like you're looking for a VPN (virtual private network) solution. Filezilla is an FTP program which is not going to help you.

For my business needs I use Sonicwall routers to connect networks together. Using this type of setup, you need to have at least one of the locations with a static ip address.

If you're looking for a free VPN solution, you could use something like Hamachi, which I also use for friends and family. With the free setup, you can have up to 16 computers connected together. They have a pay version (about $200 per year) which allows you to have up to 256 computers connected. There are other vpn solutions out there, those are just the two that I use.

Once you've got your vpn set up, you can access systems like they are on your own network (just not as fast obviously <g>)

Mike

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration