Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Laptop Wireless Connectivity Issue
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:31 pm 

Hello all new guy here :D

I was given this older laptop a Toshiba Satellite 1200 S1S2, and I am trying to connect it to my wireless home network. The laptop see`s my network, but I am unable to connect, and I get the " unable to connect to network at this time, wireless network is unavailable" error. My other laptop can connect, and so can my other desktop which is on wireless.

I do not ever make posts until I have done all I can to try and figure my problem out on my own, but I have searched and tried different things, such as try and configure the network manually(did not work) and a few other things.

A side note on this laptop is that it used to belong to a company, and after searching around in the advance wireless settings I see where connections for an office and a hotel had been configured. So the settings have been manipulated in the past.

I do plan on reformatting this laptop in a few days. So you all just let me know if that will be the most efficient fix.

Thank you all in advance.

Post subject: Re: Laptop Wireless Connectivity Issue
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:51 am 
Site Admin

What OS, service pack level, and wireless card? Also what wireless router/access point (make/model/revision)? Can you connect to your router/access point with all security disabled (i.e. no WEP, WPA, etc.), and with the SSID being broadcast (i.e. not hidden)? Can you connect to any other wireless network (i.e. an open public one)? Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:36 am 

I am in class right now, I will get this information to you once I get home.

Thank you

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:52 am 

Your router may not be set up to handle B protocol (WEP) would be my guess if you are using an integrated WiFi --- nor would you want it to IMNSHO. I would disable the archaic onboard laptop WiFi as a security precaution and power saving function.

I would consider getting a G or N protocol Type II or Type III PC Card (32bit CardBus) or a USB based one (except I think you are limited to USB1.1 ports which I believe will limit G and N protocol rates.). If so, then the CardBus is the way to go. [Or replace the WiFi module with a modern one if possible and desired.] Make sure whatever solution you choose supports PSK-WPA2 (AES) encryption.

Toshiba support for Satellite 1200 S122 [note corrected model number]

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:05 am 

Thats kind of what I was thinking. The laptop may not be able to take the routers protocol as you were saying. I will check into this also.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:28 pm 

update, I turned my networks security completly off and now I can connect with my laptop. The router security was set as TKIP

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

The old 802.11b wireless card in that laptop doesn't support the newer WPA security. Rather than set your access point to the easily crackable WEP (in)security, I recommend upgrading your wireless card with an inexpensive 802.11b/g CardBus Wireless Adapter, which would also support WPA/WPA2 security. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:58 pm 

I changed my security over to WEP, it was the only security setting the laptop would respond to, I really hate WEP because of those odd pass keys. WEP looks like my only option so I will just have to deal with it.

If you guys know how I can configure WEP to allow me to have my own custom password VS one of these generate keys, I would appreciate it.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:02 pm 

Scott wrote:
The old 802.11b wireless card in that laptop doesn't support the newer WPA security. Rather than set your access point to the easily crackable WEP (in)security, I recommend upgrading your wireless card with an inexpensive 802.11b/g CardBus Wireless Adapter, which would also support WPA/WPA2 security. Scott.

Thanks Scott, Quick question will that $6.99 card work? It only supports G, but if it will work that would be great.

and yes you are right, I can only connect through WEP.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

That card supports b/g (you would use g at home), and for the price difference I wouldn't recommend an "n" card for that system. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:30 pm 

Scott wrote:
That card supports b/g (you would use g at home), and for the price difference I wouldn't recommend an "n" card for that system. Scott.

I may go with this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833314306
The reviews on it make me wonder though. Although people usually only review something if they didn't like it. I have noticed that with reviews its always the people with something negative to say that write an essay about the product lol.

This laptop was given to me and it is very old, therefore, I really do not want to put alot of money into it.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:36 am 
Site Admin

I generally disregard comments by non-experts (meaning most of them <g>). In this case I'd probably go with the $7 card just because it is so inexpensive (and Belkin doesn't make any of its cards anyway). Which ever one you choose, let me know how it works out. Scott.

PS: As a tip, I don't recommend using the software that comes with the card. Instead I would download the latest drivers from the card chipset mfr. and would "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings".

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:34 am 

I hate wireless software that comes with Wireless adaptors, I've yet to see one that is as fast and effective as Windows built in software

Some adaptors "force" you to use their software, but sometimes you can override this by only installing the drivers and not the software, look for a drivers folder in the driver download. :)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:23 am 

Scott wrote:
I generally disregard comments by non-experts (meaning most of them <g>). In this case I'd probably go with the $7 card just because it is so inexpensive (and Belkin doesn't make any of its cards anyway). Which ever one you choose, let me know how it works out. Scott.

PS: As a tip, I don't recommend using the software that comes with the card. Instead I would download the latest drivers from the card chipset mfr. and would "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings".

Ha thanks,

I have one last thing before I make my purchase, Will 802.11G connect to networks that are 802.11N I do not know what my schools wireless protocol is, but I will need to be able to connect to it.

I do thank you all for the help, for this is a path in the computer world I have not walked down yet.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:20 am 

SThompson86 wrote:
Will 802.11G connect to networks that are 802.11N I do not know what my schools wireless protocol is, but I will need to be able to connect to it.

Yes :) As long as anywhere you connect to is set up for G as well as N class Wireless networking.

If your school supports N class wireless networking it might be worth getting a N Class Adaptor.

David

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:15 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Will 802.11G connect to networks that are 802.11N

Yes. Unless specifically configured to disallow such connections, 802.11g cards can connect to 802.11n based networks.

Quote:
If your school supports N class wireless networking it might be worth getting a N Class Adaptor.

I disagree. As I stated earlier in this thread "...for the price difference I wouldn't recommend an "n" card for that system." Note that the system in question is a recycled (aka free) 2002 vintage "Celeron 1200" (aka 1.2GHz Pentium III) laptop. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:46 am 

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. :D

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:46 pm 

I ordered that card tonight, I will let you all know how it works out.

Thanks again

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:55 pm 

Well I got the card, and it does not connect fully into my wireless network. It accepts my password but loads and loads " Connected with Limited or No connectivity" and " acquiring Network address" I also had to load up that annoying Belkin software, for the drivers I found on the website did not work.

Here are the drivers I tried, http://en-us-%20%20%20%20support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/302/p/258

I really do not know what else to do, other than ship this thing back to Newegg.

Thanks for any help.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

Does it connect with security disabled on the access point? Did you disable the internal wireless?

The link you posted doesn't work. In any case, you don't need the Belkin software, just the drivers. Just find the drivers on the install disc and install them manually. If I could see the actual driver INF file, I could tell what chipset is on that card, and probably locate the most up to date driver for it.

In addition, some cards are supported by Windows update, meaning you can get the drivers that way. Try uninstalling the existing drivers (and Belkin software), then manually go to Windowsupdate.com, select Custom, and see if any drivers are offered for the card. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:19 pm 

The card is a Model no. F5D7010 Ver. 5100

I am trying everything you said do now. I will let you know where I get.

Thank you much

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:40 pm 

I am making the post connected through wireless with my new wireless card. Which means success.

This laptop may be old, but for taking notes in class and doing a bit of research in class this little laptop and my 8 bucks spent on this card is well worth it, considering I was going to buy a new laptop just to take notes :? ..

Thanks again

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I am making the post connected through wireless with my new wireless card. Which means success.

So what was the trick? Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:44 pm 

Scott wrote:
Quote:

So what was the trick? Scott.

The Belkins website some what mis lead me when it came down to getting the right drivers.

But I found them.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Can you post a link to them? Thanks, Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:09 am 

Yes sir http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/product/detail/p/258

thats a direct link

Its kinds a DUH thing how I got confused, but I did.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the link. This thread became the inspiration for my latest tip: Becoming an expert device and driver Detective

I think you will find it both interesting and informative, plus it will lead you to what I believe are the latest drivers for that card. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:08 pm 

Scott that was a VERY good read. I found that information very informative. Especially the part about these 2 cards being physically branded differently but containing the same chip set on the inside and sharing the same drive.

Nevertheless, I am glad my thread was an inspiration to you making a new tip thread!

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration