Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Windows 7 Networking
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:43 am 

Scott, I am so used to Windows XP Networking and never used simple file sharing. When I got my MCP for 70-270,

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-270

I really learned a lot about networking, so its difficult to use the "simple minded" Windows 7 networking. I've only installed it last night, but just figured out you don't have to be in the same workgroup to share files and folders??!??. I went ahead and changed the name of the workgroup to the same thing on each pc anyway.

I haven't set up homegroups and don't want to. I've turned off "Use Wizard Sharing" which I'm guessing is the same as turning off simple file sharing in XP?....

I need an article that compares Windows XP Pro networking and Windows 7 Home premium networking. Yes I know I could "google" for it but your are always the last stop for any type of computer related information. Believe me, I have searched for hours before on certain topics and found say 20 different answers to 1 question. The only way I know whats right is if I get the information from you. Maybe I'm just terrible at searching.

Windows xp for me is like an old familiar pair of sneakers, they fit just right and have been broken in. Regardless, I have to learn what the average joe consumer uses in their home - otherwise I can't help them when they have a problem with it.

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 Networking
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I've only installed it last night, but just figured out you don't have to be in the same workgroup to share files and folders??!??.

In fact that was just recently discussed on the forum.

Quote:
I haven't set up homegroups and don't want to. I've turned off "Use Wizard Sharing" which I'm guessing is the same as turning off simple file sharing in XP?....

The "Use Sharing Wizard" enables the Share context menu option and Share tab for the properties window when you right click on items to share. It does however need to be turned on to do simple file sharing.

Quote:
I need an article that compares Windows XP Pro networking and Windows 7 Home premium networking.

The following articles should be helpful:

Other than that, google is your friend. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

I'm going to have to throw my dime in here:

Maybe you should stick to XP for a while while you set up 7 on a test system to play with. I have NO intention of moving to 7 for quite a while and will definitely learn everything I'll need to know about it before deploying it on any production system.

Jumping in with both feet to a change like this will cause you many headaches.

Mike.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:48 pm 

Don't sell 7 short, Mike. With Pro & Ultimate (and Enterprise) you get a free download of a fully licensed version of XP Pro to use in XP mode. Is this a vague admission by Microsoft of XP's superiority?

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration