Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Good practice with simple file sharing with XP Pro?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:08 am 

I've been asked to set up a PC running XP Pro, to act as a server, connecting to a network of 5 PCs. The server PC will have a shared folder that will be accessed on a full read/write basis by the other PCs. All the PCs connect to each other via a router, with an ADSL router also connected.

Is it good practice to use simple file sharing on the server PC for this shared folder? Or would it be necessary to set up permissions, so that only the 5 PCs on the local network can access it?

I was thinking that with simple file sharing, there would only be a software firewall stopping access from the internet to this folder.

Thanks in anticipation.

Post subject: Re: Good practice with simple file sharing with XP Pro?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:33 am 

I have a setup like this in my house. If this setup you speak of is a home setup, and if no protection is required than SFTP will be ok, but if the person you are doing this for is selective of who she/he shares data with between these 5 node machines then yea you will need to setup permissions. I have mind wide open no permissions because I am mainly the only one every moving files,and therefore, I am not worried about people messing with my files.

Permissions will only be for the people inside of the network as in those 5 computers you are hooking up.

As for the Windows Firewall you do not have to make any changes. I did not have to make any changes to the Windows Firewall until i wanted to do remote desktop to my network.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Is it good practice to use simple file sharing on the server PC for this shared folder? Or would it be necessary to set up permissions, so that only the 5 PCs on the local network can access it?

In most cases I'd recommend against using Simple File Sharing. Here is a good article about how to properly set up secure file sharing in Windows. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:12 am 

Thanks very much Scott. I'll check out the information in the link.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration