Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Wireless Router:Random Loss of Connection.
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:22 pm 

Hello all, I have been having trouble with my Netgear WGR614v7 Wireless router. The problem is that it will randomly stop being able to be connected to about once a week. The wireless computers in my house can see the SPID but when one clicks connects it just stays on "Acquiring Network address." I have not been able to find a permanent fix for this issue. My short term fix is to go into the routers console and just simply re apply the router settings. By doing that the computers will then be able to fully connect. I have made a post about this on the Netgear forums, but all the admins on there know to say is " did you reset the router?" Soo they were no help what so ever. Because resetting the router was the 1st thing I tried when this started happening.

The only thing I can relate to this problem is a flash update. the problem seemed to start happening after I did the flash upgrade to the router. Nevertheless, I have downgraded since then, and that did not solve the issue.

The PC that is controlling this router is currently running on Windows 7, I did have XP on here also in which I still had the same issue.

I am out of options, so maybe you guys can get me on a path to fixing the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Wireless Router:Random Loss of Connection.
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

How old is it? If it is over a year old, my guess is that it is simply failing. If you open it you might see swelling or leaking caps. I've recently seen multiple failures in routers, switches, modems, etc. due to this problem. While I have repaired some of these devices by replacing the caps, that was only to prove to myself that my diagnosis was correct, it is cheaper to simply replace the unit in most cases. Scott.

PS: On a related note, now that 11n has finally been approved and certified, I'm anxiously awaiting to see routers/access points and cards based on new 11n chipsets like the Atheros 9300 family. According to what I've read about them, these chipsets (and others like them) will be the tipping point for going full-bore 11n over 11abg. Key features to look for when buying 11n products include dual-band (2.4/5GHz) and 3x3 stream (multi-stream n) operation, combined with the 11n Certified logo:

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:54 pm 

Scott wrote:
How old is it? If it is over a year old, my guess is that it is simply failing. If you open it you might see swelling or leaking caps. I've recently seen multiple failures in routers, switches, modems, etc. due to this problem. While I have repaired some of these devices by replacing the caps, that was only to prove to myself that my diagnosis was correct, it is cheaper to simply replace the unit in most cases. Scott.

Ile take her apart and see if I see anything suspicious . Ile take a pic

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:51 pm 

I took it apart and there was nothing suspect looking. That does not mean there is not something wrong though,but there was nothing obvious.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:22 am 

Scott, since there was no obvious damage to the circuit board do you think it will still be best to replace this router? I am thinking so because the settings are set the same way they were when ever I did not have any problems.

Thanks again.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:04 am 
Site Admin

Unfortunately the only way you're going to know it is hardware is to replace it with a known-good spare and see if the problem goes away. Since it is so random, it may be interference, so you could try changing the channel. You should normally use either 1, 6, or 11. Use a utility like WirelessNetView to see what channels are in use in your area, and choose the one of those that is least used. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:32 am 

Thank you sir, I will give this a try.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:19 pm 

Scott wrote:
....these chipsets (and others like them) will be the tipping point for going full-bore 11n over 11abg. Key features to look for when buying 11n products include dual-band (2.4/5GHz) and 3x3 stream (multi-stream n) operation,....

Qualcomm released a 4 x 4 chip to manufacturers for engineering samples with the hope that products with four antenas would be out in the first quarter of 2010 (600Mbps in theory). And since you reminded me of it, I found these pdf's (1) (2-USB)

And this (3) and the WCN1320.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:56 am 
Site Admin

It will be interesting to see if OEMs will be willing to spend the extra money for a 4x4 solution, which is required at both ends to take full advantage. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:34 pm 

Scott,

Since heat is the number 1 cause of electronic component faiure, do you think installing a small fan on the router would help? It would invove cutting away some of the case that covers the circuit board and then finding an exposed source of 6-12 volts to power the fan.

I might do some testing to determine whether or not the router uses more power when in use as opposed to sitting idle. If so, I might consider installing a switch to turn on the fan only when in use. Total power consumption with/without a fan might also be an issue.

I did this with an ICOM R-71A and an R-7000 with good results. I put a resister in series to lower the fan's RPM to a quieter level. When I put my hand behind the unit I can feel the heat being drawn away.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:14 am 
Site Admin

Capacitor failure is the #1 cause of electonic *device* failure. Heat is not generally a problem unless a device is improperly designed, installed, or used. In the case of a router, unless you have it installed in an environment with high ambient temperatures. or in the middle or top of a stack of components, I wouldn't waste my time hacking in a fan. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:40 am 

*Update* I switched the broadcast channel on the router, and I have not had a disconnect yet. I think I may have been getting interference from a neighbor who is running a Net gear router also. I am sure they were on CH.11 to. They also do not protect their connection(free internet anyone? ha JK)

Thanks again Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:38 am 

lol The amount of times I've knocked on doors to tell people that! Once I had a customer with v poor signal, well it was a good signal really as the router they were trying to connect belonged to a neighbour!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:25 am 

If I knew which neighbor it was I would go over there, and see if they wanted to slide me some money for setting up their security. I am tempted to randomly knock on doors and ask if about an unsecured wireless net gear network.. lol

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:59 pm 

Well I spoke too soon. I had to redo the routers settings just now.. Well I know for a fact I have a Belkin router under the tree that was scored for 20 bucks on black Friday. Anything is probably better than this Net Gear though.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:33 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N80OWBVFVss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uchIJQUe ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzqrZhI2 ... re=related

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:04 pm 

ha that was interesting. I knocked on 1 of my neighbors doors tonight, but it was not their router. The search continues on! :o

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:05 pm 

hehe there's a sketch show here somewhere!

Man terrible acne in his 20's Jack Duckworth Glasses:

"Ermm excuse me do you have a wireless router????"

Man 40's cigarette in one hand beer in the other "What's that mate? Don't wanna buy anything tonight"

"Well its just that you could be vulnerable!"

(distant sound of clued up teenager preparing to fire airgun at the person about to cut off his free internet)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:57 pm 

SThompson86,

Have you looked at Netgear's Troubleshooting Wireless Networks KB page?

Sometimes a forced reset to factory defaults can fix this. I'm talking about resetting using a paperclip to push the "reset" button, *not* resetting it via the web page administration. I know you said that Netgear asked you about this but I've seen a Netgear router fixed after trying everything (including firmware upgrade and restoring factory defaults via the webpage) and finally resetting it with a paperclip.

That's about all I can add to this.

-Evan

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:44 pm 

Evan wrote:
SThompson86,

Have you looked at Netgear's Troubleshooting Wireless Networks KB page?

Sometimes a forced reset to factory defaults can fix this. I'm talking about resetting using a paperclip to push the "reset" button, *not* resetting it via the web page administration. I know you said that Netgear asked you about this but I've seen a Netgear router fixed after trying everything (including firmware upgrade and restoring factory defaults via the webpage) and finally resetting it with a paperclip.

That's about all I can add to this.

-Evan

That was the first thing I tried months back.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:14 pm 

Since you've tried resetting it to factory defaults both ways then that should rule out any settings issues (like using security settings your computers don't support) and since you have multiple computers that helps rule out your computer(s) as being the problem too.

I'm going with what Scott said earlier.

-Evan

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:00 pm 

Yea this router will be replaced Friday.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:18 pm 

I just reset it from the back. Its worth a try lol :D

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:43 am 

Did that make any difference? If not, then at least you'll have a new one Friday!

-Evan

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:47 am 

The disconnects are so distant in time that it makes it hard to really trouble shoot. My wireless computers within my home are unable to connect about once every week to 1.5 week. On another note this is a cheap router, and I pretty much kinda expect this from it.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration