Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Minimum Ethernet Cable Length is 2.5m (8.2 ft.)?
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:02 pm 

Scott,

Can you explain why there is minimum length of 2.5m (8.2ft) for most Ethernet cabling (all except 10BASE-2) according to Table 17.6 on page 889 of URPCs 19th edition?

There are many suppliers that sell *many* lengths less than 8.2ft which are ideal for many networking situations. I've never noticed any issues when using very short Cat5 or Cat5e myself and would appreciate any clarification you can provide.

-Evan

Post subject: Re: Minimum Ethernet Cable Length is 2.5m (8.2 ft.)?
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

Minimum cable lengths are often specified in bus connections to minimize problems with signal reflection and other issues. However, in the case of a point to point connection (with built-in termination on each end) it is not as much of an issue. There is a good discussion of this issue here. In any case I think I'll delete that column in the table as I don't think it applies in modern star-wired configurations. Scott.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration