Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: The only thing available is dial-up... what can I do?
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

Even if you don't have cable or DSL service in your area, there are several alternatives to dial-up. Some choices enable you to connect using cellular phone or WiMax technology, including the following:

But these services all require extra hardware, and generally cost anywhere from $50 to $100 per month. Another less expensive option is to use your cellphone as a modem (often called "tethering"), which can be extremely effective if you have 3G cellphone service. For example, I recently spent a week on the road teaching, and was online via my AT&T 3G cellphone at up to 2Mbps (I was on the top floor of a building and had a great connection). As a test I am connected right now via my cellphone at home as I write this, and with only 3 out of 4 bars I still get pretty good results:

While I prefer just using the cellphone as a modem, not all carriers support this, and you do need an unlimited data plan which can cost anywhere from $10 to $30 per month or more.

Another option that I've used is satellite internet from companies like HughesNet and WildBlue. Satellite connections are available for anywhere from $50 to $75 per month, which is about the same price as the faster Cable/DSL plans. I used a Hughes based satellite connection for several years (no Cable/DSL access where I was living at the time) with excellent results. While I would never recommend it where I had access to cable or DSL, I'd go back in a heartbeat vs. dial-up!

Bottom line: There are good alternatives to dial-up no matter where you live...

Post subject: Re: The only thing available is dial-up... what can I do?
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:26 pm 

Thanks for the excellant Help !

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:15 pm 

check to see if you are able to get the internet from your power company which means over the powerlines.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

BPL (Broadband over Power Lines) is not available in most of the USA. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:34 pm 

Scott,

I am actually very close to a current deployment from International Broadband Electric Communications, Inc., (IBEC) but they curently do not have service available to my home. After they expand and reach my home, do you believe that BPL should be a serious consideration as my primary ISP or possibly a secondary choice (for use with a Dual WAN router)?

-Evan

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...do you believe that BPL should be a serious consideration as my primary ISP or possibly a secondary choice (for use with a Dual WAN router)?

Based on the low speeds and high pricing, I would only recommend BPL as an alternative to satellite for locations where Cable or DSL are not available. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:31 pm 

I did look at the pricing scheme prior to the post so I should have specified better that I was more interested in the technology itself. Are there any specific ("low hanging fruit" if you will) pros or cons when compared to Cable or DSL?

For instance Cable is often easier to set up than DSL but since it is a shared bandwidth medium Cable performance will degrade if multiple users on the same node are using the connection at the same time, while this is not a concern with DSL. Also, I know that if you split your cable line several times before your connection to your Cable "modem" there can be a significant signal loss (if you aren't using proper splitters).

Does BPL suffer from any similar limitations or overcome any of these? Since this is the first time I've ever really investigated this specific technology, please feel free to let me know if I need to clarify any of my questions or assumptions.

Thanks again.
-Evan

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Are there any specific ("low hanging fruit" if you will) pros or cons when compared to Cable or DSL?

BPL is significantly slower and more expensive, and is not available in most of the USA.

Quote:
...since it is a shared bandwidth medium Cable performance will degrade if multiple users on the same node are using the connection at the same time, while this is not a concern with DSL.

Bandwidth is shared at some point on *all* connections. Using that as any sort of blanket distinction is no longer relevant.

Quote:
Does BPL suffer from any similar limitations or overcome any of these?

I'd say that BPL has the same basic limitations as the other connections (shared bandwidth, potential signal loss through multiple splitters/connections, etc.), except that it is slower, more expensive, and rarely available. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:35 pm 

I think I *might* just understand the point you're trying to make, if I read between the lines enough. <g>

IMHO, it sounds like we need the services of the greatest engineer ever, Montgomery "Scotty" Scott of Star Trek fame.

(I couldn't help but post that picture)

There isn't any problem that man can't fix. <g>

Thanks for the input Scott.

-Evan

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration