Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: router
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:35 am 

D-LinkĀ® EBR-2310 Ethernet Broadband Router With 4-Port Switch
This says it works with windows 2000 and windows xp it should work with windows vista and windows 7 as well I would think.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/7 ... Broadband/

I have a friend that have a cable internet. even tho I know scott says to used 10/100/1000 but this router is only 10/100. I don't see dlink having a router in this price range in gigiabit like my switch is.

I want to set somthing up for him so he don't have to worry about virus hacks etc. because I think most cable modem don't come with routers like dsl modems do. But I think he should have something on while his computer is booting up and something on before the windows xp firewall up and running. What I want to do is trun off some of the software seurity that is slowing down his computer. I'm just wondering if this should be good enough. Then after he fills the other ports on it then he should be able to get a gigabit switch then. just that manly just for the nat router and the built in firewall then he was talking to me about getting a laptop computer and hooking both his desktop computer and his laptop computer to the internet when he gets a laptop computer. but he don't want it wireless. In his desktop I did put in EtherFast network card. http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/LNE100TX
thanks.
cyberghost.

Post subject: Re: router
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:00 am 
Site Admin

For an extra 5 bucks, I'd recommend this from Office Depot. It's probably pretty much the same as the non-wireless one but once your friend gets a laptop and tries wireless, he's going to be very happy he has it and spent the extra few dollars!

As for gigabit, most routers are still 10/100 which is fine for most home users. You can always upgrade the network to gigabit by adding a switch in the future.

Routers only prevent attacks from the outside getting in, people can still easily pick up malware on their own. I think people consider firewalls to be something to stop malware which they are not.

Mike

Post subject: Re: router
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:17 am 

Quote:
Routers only prevent attacks from the outside getting in, people can still easily pick up malware on their own. I think people consider firewalls to be something to stop malware which they are not.

Right that why i'm still going to leave the AVG antivirus software install on his computer.
and a antispyware software on his computer as well he not all that good on updates so this should help.

That is why I have the alphasheld on my between the dsl modem and the swtich and the computer it is a hardware firewall with no software install and no firmware but it sure keeps things nice and quite. If you want to check it out mike the website is http://www.alphashield.com.......

On his computer when I first came to fix his computer his computer was so slow and his hard drive was running all the time. He must of had tons of spyware and virus on his system his hard drive was just going and going. I just did a clean install of his windows and remove the crapware that came with his a compaq computer and add a gig of ram to his system that speed things up.

I also that to that people thinks firewalls to be something to stop malware it not it only to stop attacts. That is why you should also run antivirus software and antispyware software. and don't be running windows defender that software don't work its a joke.

I should not of said that dlink don't have a gigabit the do have one for gamers. and it also cut down the lag time. Just that officedepot don't have them their.

Thanks mike for the link for that other dlink router.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration