Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: when a switch start to go bad
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:29 am 

I was wonder when a swtich start to go bad do the internet start to lag
i have the dgs-2205 dlink switch.

The other day I touch it and got a ESD shock off from the port on the back of the switch after that the internet start to be on slow side well laggy a bit. I have this switch less then a year next month tho would be a year but it does it on both computer somtimes. I don't know if it would be the switch the or the computers

I hate to go out and spend another 50.00 bucks on another switch then it was not the switch. but when i'm loading a web page the other computer slow down a bit.

Post subject: Re: when a switch start to go bad
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:02 am 
Site Admin

Always try resetting the switch (and router, modem, etc.) first (power off/on), but if that doesn't help, then Just bypass the switch (connect directly to the router) or substitute a known-good spare switch (it doesn't have to be gigabit). If the lag goes away, then you know it was the switch. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:59 pm 

yeah that what i'm about to do scott. I was going to go to officedepot and buy a new one and if the lag goes away then i'll just return the bad one back to store.

thanks.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:45 pm 

I think scott I'll just do a clean install of windows on both computer the desktop and the dell notebook computer on that notebook computer try to get that video driver fix as well.
best way to speed up a computer and network if that don't work then i'll just go and get another swtich and see if that knock of the lag.

I did also have some malware on my desktop computer. I'm going to run that ccleaner on it what was that website again. thanks.

cyberghost.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:49 pm 

Quote:
Always try resetting the switch (and router, modem, etc.)

There is no resetting button on the switch and the router is built into the dsl modem.
I also ran a dsl speed test and that was though the swtich.

and the swtich is a dlink switch model DGS-2205 GIGABIT.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:31 pm 

cyberghost wrote:
I did also have some malware on my desktop computer. I'm going to run that ccleaner on it what was that website again.
You can find CCleaner here. You should go to the builds page if you want something other than the the standard installer (like the Slim version which does *not* include the toolbar)

-Evan

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
There is no resetting button on the switch and the router is built into the dsl modem.

In that case you reset the unit by disconnecting and reconnecting the power. I keep all of my network devices (modem, router, switch, access point, etc.) connected to a single power strip, so I can easily reset them all with a single power switch. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:34 pm 

the other day like i said before I had ESD when I touch the back of the dlink switch and I got a shock off from it could that did some harm to it. What is going on here when i'm on yahoo messenger for the web it lag sometimes and a few other websites as well when iI have both computers on at the sametime. This never done it before.

I just getting around to troubleshooting it now. This also started after the monthly update in FEB so I don't know if there was a bug in one of the IE 7.0 updates or not.
this is weird.

i'll keep you post what i find out.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:58 pm 

Have you tried using a different web browser (Firefox or Chrome) to see if IE is the problem? Also, have you tried IE8 instead of IE7? While you might be having hardware problems, it will not hurt to try different software too.

-Evan

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:23 pm 

Ok I think that I got the lag taken care of how did I you ask. beats me just started to work like it should.

I think this is weird when I run a broadband speed test on qwest both computer at the same time I don't get the same speed on both computer one would drop way down to 3.456 mbps and the other computer would be 5.432mbps both download speed I have dsl 7mbps. I thought when using a switch it don't drop down in speed what the deal.
still don't know if the other day when I got an ESD shock off from the switch dlink did any damage to it.

when i test both computers one at a time. I can get on the one computer 6.153mbps download speed and then the upload speed is 0.731mbps then the other computer i would get around 6.783mbps download speed and the upload speed 0.755mbps .

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration